MOD Laptop Stolen-Oh F**K!!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by GCYZ, Jan 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. and again and again and again....i see a pattern happening here!

and yet again!
  2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

that would expain why somebody had to leave where I work and dash home to collect a laptop and return it to the office. We did sort of say that they were busy, but the grown ups seemed to be in a right tizzy.

Now I know why!!
  3. What a complete [email protected] :threaten:
  4. Until those who behave like this are made responsible for their actions or recklessness, and given a custodial sentence, I'm afraid that this sort of thing will continue. What I find galling is that if a charity secretary behaved in this way, s/he would be facing prison. When officials/officers do it, they refuse to take responsibility! :evil:
  5. Remember the last time this happened in the 1990's? The senior officer concerned was very soon promoted to Flag rank. This is obviously a career move. Must go - need to write off one of Mr Paxman's finest in the hope of getting an MBE.
  6. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Humm I remember when the laptops first got issued to us in recruiting and I attended the training they told that the need for encryption etc was not necessary as it would cost too much.

Now I defiantly remember poo pooing that one.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I see a knee-jerk reaction personally, in light of other government cock-ups.

Depending on the origin of the laptop, the amount of data supposedly accessible on a stand-alone single laptop is rather dubious. It seems people wish to fall upon their sword before the facts are actually known.
  8. the last Naval big wig to lose is Laptop is now Minister of security ,Admiral Lord West of Solent,eat your heart Horatio
  9. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

MoD have confirmed the details MoD

What I want to know is how the hell they managed to get 600,000 personnel interested in joining the Armed Forces, I reckon there are a lot of made up names on there A. Smith, B. Smith, C. Smith........... "yes I did go to the careers office they didn't want me, can I have my dole check now?" :thumright:
  10. I was more amused at the fact that 600,000 people have expressed an interest in joining the AF!
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Precisely & why would all that data be needed to be available on a single laptop?

What use is that data to the owner - Is he/she intending getting in touch with them?
  12. Sorry CT, I was a bit slow in posting, you got your similar post in before mine! Doh!
  13. Fantastic, so the Government has let my personal information go twice, a few months ago they lost my driving theory test details, and now they have lost all of that.

Hmm from what I've read, JPA will also lose all record of my employment if/when I ever get in!
  14. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

"Great Minds" mate :dwarf:
  15. On the MOD statement there is an email address, which i assume we can use to check if our names and details are on said laptop ^_^;

Might be worth giving them a buzz??? Or we could wait and see if we get a letter...

16. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

17. Oh wow, why did I have to go and call the enquiry number yesterday :D

Bitter Sweet Irony.

Ah well, they'll only discover I live in sunny spain, perhaps they care to visit. Still, it goes to prove that civil servants seem to be incapable of protecting the data of UK citizens.

Edit: Just remembered the laptop was lost a week ago, which means my updated info wouldn't be on there anyway. They can see that I enquired after information about the Royal Alexandra though.

18. Contributor Mode

May I suggest that all on RR that are serving or have served should publish on these pages our:

Full Name
    Place of Birth
    National Insurance Number
    Passport Number
    Bank and Credit card Details
    Address and previous address if less then 3 years at current address
    School and Employment History
    Make Model and Index Number of Car or Motor Cycle.

I would hate the new owners of the missing lap top not to have the full set RN, RNR and RFA 1950 to 2008.

19. How many Data Losses can this government get away with? And its not even as though they are learning from their mistakes, even since these scandals first started coming to light, new ones keep emerging. And they want ID Cards?

Right now there is a real risk that mine, and many other RR Users personal data is being used right now due to the incompetence of a Naval Officer. Will he be subject to some sort of disciplinary action?