MOD Consider Giving Away HMS Victory

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by tomm90, Sep 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They can't do that! NO NO NO! :threaten:

2. This is sad news indeed. I visited HMS Victory when on course at Dolphin and being a huge fan of Patrick O'Brien and Alexander Kent was absolutely fascinated to see a real Napoleonic era warship, knowing that it was still in commission.

I fail to see how this ship could be handed over to private enterprise and still remain in commission. Probably become something like McDonalds Victory Experience PLC.

3. Is this the end for the RN?

4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

What stinking piece of NuLiabour dung thought this up? There's nothing approaching this ship in the whole world - the oldest
    continuously-commissioned warship on the planet - ah, but it's British history, that's why Broon & co want to get rid of it. Insufficiently multi-cultural I suppose.

5. Typical bit of short-sighted MOD lunacy.

2 points though-

another round of cuts coming up, things like this always get trailed both as part of inter-service position jockeying nd, even more cynically, so that when the cuts happen and something like this doesn't occur people can be gulled into thinking that maybe things weren't as bad as they could have been. Occasionally bluffs get called though, e.g. UPHOLDER.

the RN already has commissioned warships owned by private enterprise:
    SEVERN, TYNE, MERSEY & CLYDE.

Doesn't make it right though.

6. It's come to something, tho, when your bluff is offering up VICTORY.

1 soul, slightly (ok, very) tarnished for sale. Any takers?

7. Unfortunately for us, as far as Nu Liebor are concerned, there is no history pre 1997, which is their "Year Zero".

Anyone remember "Cool Britannia"?

8. For once, I am speechless (and that doesn't happen often).

9. Quote from MOD Oracle

"But a former Commanding Officer of Victory and ex-First Sea Lord said handing over the oldest commissioned warship in the world to a private company would make a mockery of Portsmouth's naval heritage.

Lt Cmdr Michael Cheshire, now retired, was Commanding Officer of Victory from 1992 to 1998 and was awarded an MBE for his services to the Royal Navy."

since when did Lt Cdr (retd) become 1SL.

10. This is one of the simple and easy "quick win" (as they say in trendspeak) options for getting several scores of millions out of the Equipment Budget within the next 2 years. The Treasury "loans" for kit needed Sandyside have to be paid back from somewhere not committed to current Ops.

As ever, MoD Centre knows the Cost with no concept of the Value.

11. Well, they have pretty much given away the rest of the country so it's no surprise.
    Let's hope we have an election before it's too late.

12. In fairness to the governing f8ckwits, I very much doubt whether the pollies know anything about this. Indeed (as alluded to above) it may be a bluff "offering" from within FLEET or more likely DE&S which will probably lead to a swift interview without biscuits fro the originator.

It does demonstrate just how broken the budget really is though. Even Jane's have now cottoned to the plight of the batch 2 T42s on FLJ as well.......

13. Appalled...but not surprised. As POL put it, MOD costs everything and values nothing.
    What next, "Sponsor a matelot"?

14. Anyone taking bets that the French will try and bid?

15. I'd take it on if I could and make sure it gets put to good use in it's old capacity - beating on French and Spanish ships that have designs on British waters (and our fish!!)

I sincerely hope they do not go through with this, otherwise I might give serious consideration to changing my name to buggerit Fawkes....

16. Appalling and hopefully untrue.

However, some years ago the Treasury did enquire how much they'd get for the BBMF aircraft.

17. Surely a late April fools jape?

18. Is there anything in British history this lot will not get rid of ? I doubt it. :toilet:

19. Anyone taking bets that the French will try and bid?..........Well at least they know how to look after their heritage...so maybe it wouldnt be such a bad idea after all ......What do a bunch of bloody jocks :toilet: need English heritage for anyway Pity they dont round em all up and sling em from a yard arm :threaten: ...yea now we"re talking