MOD confirms body parts kept

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by frogman007, Aug 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Losing a loved one is devastating. Finding out that "body parts" may have been kept (presumably in cold storage) will naturally open old wounds (no pun intended) but I have to say that a tissue sample on a laboratory slide for microscopic analysis is hardly something to fire up the outrage bus. Fair enough, once no longer of use or relevance to an investigation these items (and especially body parts) should be sensitively disposed of and clearly have not but let's keep a sense of proportion.
  2. Fair one. But why is it in the public domain?
  3. Shocking - The RMP have never heard of the Human Tissue Act or followed the protocol !

4. Don't you think that the permission of the NOK should have been sought first?
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I think the only outrage here is the bloody newspaper stirring shit. We are talking DNA slides of the poor sods who've been blown to bits, think about all the remains of soldiers from the first and second world wars that are only now being discovered but will be buried in unmarked graves because no one can identify them, a DNA file will mean this will not happen again. The way the paper reports it you'd think the SIB were hoarding arms and legs, not small pieces of flesh and bone scooped up after a bomb has shredded and totally mingled a couple of soldiers bodies together. Glad I dont have to sort that mess out.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sorry mate, but if you see the latest reports they ARE actually keeping limbs and whole body parts.
  7. Permission for what? SIB using a tissue sample to identify the poor sod who was blown to bits or the BBC for broadcasting this highly distasteful and disrespectful story that is guaranteed to cause further unnecessary distress?
  8. wet_blobby

Please. They aren't hoarding arms and legs. Switch on froggy for fucksake.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Some bits have to kept because its a Coroner's case and therefore required for the inquest. Theres also a period of time whereby things like slides and tissue samples have to be retained afterward (sometimes years) ... and because its a Cornoner's case they don't need the families permission. There are exceptions to the rule when things are kept longer than necessary however thats normally because people are being overworked and just about have time to sort out whats coming into the lab without worrying whats going out.

That being said it doesn't need to be plastered over the National Press and it needs to be handled with dignity and respect.
  10. Yep you're right been on the wine and misinterpreted whole body parts. Wine,wine,wine. Why do you do this to me?????

For the record- slightly embarrassed I wrote that. Had three days off this week and Monsieur Savignon called.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  11. Very bad drills for this to come out in this manner. Silly season and the need to report something negative is possibly a reason - Olympics going better than expected and improvement in the weather has probably left most of the Daily Mail journos on suicide watch.

A similar outcry happened over 10 years ago and, as a result, the Human Tissue Act was introduced which stopped human tissue being kept for education or research purposes without the explicit consent of the next of kin. I don't know the ins and outs of the current issue, but I suspect it is more down to administrative procedures than a desire to keep human tissue for education or research. NOK should have been kept in the loop though and this shouldn't have happened.

Once again the wonderful free press of this country has caused a lot of anxiety to further its own ends.
  12. I think you will find that AD has answered that in the previous post.
  13. I am delighted that you have someone who can answer questions for you Finks.
  14. wet_blobby

15. No need mate its the wail! Though wine and a keyboard is normally my downfall

16. Where the definitive answer came from is irrelevant but you should man-up and admit that on this occasion you got it wrong and I got it right? I know that may be a rarity for me so I am savouring the moment.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  17. How about being humble????
  18. In my opinion someone made a mistake. Unfortunately the SIB vs RMP piss fight put it in the public domain.

Mistakes happen, particularly within large organisations. Sad, in this case perhaps, but true. There are good reasons to keep samples, and larger body parts recovered from the ground many weeks after the body has been recovered are prone to get lost in the system. Bad admin, but hey ho.

19. Humble! I tried that pie once and found it to be unpalatable, plus I am an atheist.