MOD conceiling number of British Afgan casualties

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Always_a_Civvy, Sep 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. that would be the same mod that said we had no shortages of kit/supplies (even basic toilet paper) in the gulf, same mod who's farcical procurement policy would bankrupt a private company, same shiney arse remf's that denied Gulf war syndrome existed. same whitehall bullet dodgers that deny our people compassion and support (remember the family of a marine killed told to leave married quarters another family told to pay back the "overpayment" of wages)-not isolated incidents, shame the mod gives such massive consideration to pregnant wrens and social/ethnic diversity programmes instead of deserving cases (what could be more deserving than those affected by the ultimate sacrifice?) and how shortages of kit (body armour/amunition/radios) have resulted in deaths of our people (the slaughter of the redcaps, cba with no ceramic plates/no cba at all), and still this ministry of lies churn out the same garbage, they are an absolute disgrace they would't know the meaning of truth even if their lives depended on it (haha, irony is our peoples lives depend on them) never trusted these arogant buffoons and never will, if SAFFA and the British Legion had half as much clout as the veterans organisations in the states (Washingtons Senators fear and respect them in even doses) this bunch of suited bean counters would soon sit up and take notice, nothing has changed George Orwell was spot on, this ministry has honed its big brother lying bully boy tacticts to perfection, would'nt trust any of 'em.
    Remember the Iraqi minister interviewed before the fall of Baghdad, telling the world that the yanks had been repelled and the glorious, brave Iraqi forces were in complete control-over his shoulder in the background you could actually see the USMC advancing! a pattern is emerging, these people are all cut from the same cloth regardless of which government they serve they are all skillful (and not so skillful!) spinners of deceit.
    Me bitter? nah I'm just a realist.
  2. So - not pulling any punches here then raider? :roll:

3. Fox, gloves are off as far as this lot's concerned, the shame is that every serving/former serving airman, matelot, soldier and marine is aware and can see right through them and even if the british public had the same enlightened attitude would it really make any difference? despite not having the best kit, constant mission creep, under manned, over stretched (all denied by the mod) we are still the best at what we do, history will always repeat itself, there is a famous poem by Rudyard Kipling, "Tommy Aitkins" he puts it better than I could ever do, read it fellow rum rationers, it could have been writen yesterday so topical are the words of another era, sadly in escence nothing has changed and the highly paid cowards in whitehall feel no shame.
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
    The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
    The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
    I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
    O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
    But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
    The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
    O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
    They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
    They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
    But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
    For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
    But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
    The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
    O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
    Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
    An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
    Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
    But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
    But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
    An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
    Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
    While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
    But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
    There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
    O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
    We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
    Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
    The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
    For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
    But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
    An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
    An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!
  5. Thank you Janner- I rest my case.
  6. I had heard of that poem before, but reading it there, Christ it looks as though some things will never change, he is spot on with that one.
  7. perhaps a copy of that and some strong words should be sent to each MP who are on one of their annual mega holidays at present, I am sure one would take up the cause.
  8. whats the point?it will be put in a file marked pending enquiries,then go through a Committee after a spell Under scrutiny by a Parlimentary Working party,that then has to report to the Regulatory Authourity,then to the relevant Political Parties Head office before its returned to the Principle secretary then to the Private secretary before the MP then puts in the Bin!
  9. Andy, really! :lol:

No it's much simpler that this. If it's the sort of letter seeking a reply and its pretty standard or the MP is not concerned then it will get an non-commital standard response. Otherwise you'll get a letter thanking you for the letter which will be referred on to the Secretary of State for Defence. He will get his civil servants to draft a standard reply which is unlikely to actually answer your question (from past experience) and he'll sign it. You'll get a copy of this letter and the matter is effectivly closed.

If you really want to make a difference you need to target who you write to, using Dod's Parliamentary Companion (published each year) which lists Members' interest groups and focus your attention on those people through national organisations.

When the Defence Standing Committee is gathering evidence on a relevant topic you should prepare evidence through a representative body or as a private individual and put you case succinctly and politely. Ex-Service personnel are in a strong position here.