"MoD Completes Review Into Women In Close Combat Roles"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Nov 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is the last sentance extracted from the synopsis (and no i ain't gonna read the full brief)

'Accordingly, the MOD has concluded that the case for lifting the current restrictions on women serving in close combat teams has not been made.'

ok then, that's sorted till the next review in 8 years time, so can we all please just get on with things till then..................

incoming expected but not much methinks/mehopes?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Interestingly, Mine Clearance Divers, whilst not actually primarily involved in close-quarters combat, are involved in SF support & also IED disposal in a front-line role & are about to permit female direct entry applicants.

It would be interesting to learn whether their Army counterparts employed in the EOD role, have females serving frontline or whether the RN is leading the way.
  3. SRR are SF and recruit females.
  4. And there is no bar to females becoming ATs or ATOs (Army Bomb Disposal to you and me!), some of whom do the Land SF CIED tasking.
  5. I remember reading a few years ago an extract of a study about this.
    I think it used the Israelis as the example of how to integrate women into front line ops.
    Basically, right on the front line, shoulder to shoulder with men, was detrimental to team cohesion as men risked themselves more to protect them (probably not warranted), while a female death impacted the team more greatly then a male.
    However if the female was in a supportive front line role (they used medic, but I don't see why EOD or equivalent would be any different), the males in the unit fought even harder as the protective instinct was beneficial in those circumstances.

I could be talking out of my arrse here I will admit, as I read about this yonks ago.
  6. SF is not the same as close combat.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You could well be: http://userpages.aug.com/captbarb/myths.html