"MoD admits crane could pose Clyde nuclear disaster risk"

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by soleil, Sep 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Look on the positive side, it could improve the area immensely if it fcuked up.

2. Breaking news -- the Pope IS Catholic and bears do sh!t in the woods. One has to wonder whether these journos are actually employed or just coast in off the street...

3. Re: "MoD admits crane could pose Clyde nuclear disaster risk

Oh my god. What a non story. Also The shiplift at Faslane is a unique facility its hardly unique i mean they have a very simaler thing in barrow and i would guess guz too.

4. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Re: "MoD admits crane could pose Clyde nuclear disaster risk

What happened to the old 'Floating' dry dock? The one in Grand Harbour in Malta in 50s/60's could raise a cruiser out of the water.

5. Re: "MoD admits crane could pose Clyde nuclear disaster risk

AFD 60 got towed away when the shiplift came into use

6. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

For any nuclear installation, the operator must assess the risk associated with operations. Risk has two elements, the likelihood of an event occuring and the consequences of the event - in the nuclear world the consequences are usually assessed on the absolute worst case, i.e. in this case we'd be talking of a major fire leading to all missile warheads cooking off AND the reactor suffering complete meltdown and all radioactive products being released from the smoking remnants. In reality, this doesn't happen!

Someone has taken the worst case consequence analysis out of a suite of safety and risk assessments and is quoting it completely out of context - cheap sensationalist journalism. Unfortunately, all too often its this sort of reporting which is being used to inform the public and which consequently is used to inform the decision makers too :(

7. Re: "MoD admits crane could pose Clyde nuclear disaster risk

I have no idea i was born in 1984 lol

8. Re: "MoD admits crane could pose Clyde nuclear disaster risk

Don't try and wriggle out that way, your still a suspect :twisted: :D

9. Wouldn't there be a visit to Coulport beforehand?

10. Re: "MoD admits crane could pose Clyde nuclear disaster risk

I think Granny took it with him, as a souvenir, when he retired from the Andrew after his 22 years, in 1955! :D

11. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Bloody hell, I'm years older than I thought!!

12. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Give me the shiplift any day, the AFD60 (bad boys draft) was not where you wanted to be during a docking.

The myth goes that the dock was sold to Iceland, or some sh1te like that. She broke her line whilst being towed in rough weather and floated into the Atlantic. :roll:

13. Quite!

It is interesting to noted that 'independant nuclear expert, John Large' (who is a complete tosser who knows next to fcuk-all about anything other than being a health physics monitor) is again wheeled out to offer his opinion.