MOD 493 Form & Other Questions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kenzo, Mar 31, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello and good day to you all!

In 2010 when i was 18 (and a complete F****wit ) I was convicted for a DR10 drink driving offence and was fined £200. Now as far as I'm aware after reading the Rehabilitation Of Offenders Act my conviction is now spent. My question however is should i still declare this when filling in my MOD 493 form? Obviously I would rather not bring this to anyones attention if unnecessary but i just don't want to caught out by not declaring it.

Secondly, I have varicose veins on my right leg, a few on my shin and one behind my knee. The only way to describe it is that they look like knuckles pointing out through my skin. I noticed them about a year ago after losing a lot of weight, they do not cause any discomfort but they do look horrible after excersising. Is this likely to cause me any issues?

And finally would anyone be able to inform me of the current waiting times for ETME (SM)?

Thank you
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Your DD Offence is spent - if you have your licence back, any community service is complete & you have paid all costs/fines in full. It need not be declared on the MOD Form 493 & need not be declared or discussed with your AFCO ...BUT must be declared on your online security questionnaire even if spent. National Security Vetting will not disclose this information to your AFCO.

Varicose veins are likely to be an issue unfortunately - best bet? See what the AFCO Medical Examiner advises.

ET(MESM) is a shortage category - if you pass all selection elements "first hit" without any delays, you could be at HMS Raleigh within 3 months.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thank you for your quick reply Ninja.

Ah, I did think they would be a problem. A member of my family who is a surgeon and former Paratrooper doesn't think they will be, however his words were "the Navy are short on engineers so i doubt they'll turn you down". Does it tend to be a case by case basis or is it usually just an outright no? And what is the Navy's policy on recovery times if I managed to magic up a large sum of money for surgery to remove the veins?

I appreciate all the help.
    Thank You
  4. Ninja_Stoker

As they are visible and therefore a "pre-existing" condition it's a bit difficult to get around the issue unfortunately.

Whilst they may not be an issue at present, if untreated, there's a higher than average chance they may become an issue during your service career.

Unfortunately, despite the fact we're gagging for engineers, there is no scope to lower the medical standards for entry - it's all to do with cost of training & medically associated training risks.

Funnily enough, the Cyber Reserves will accept pretty much anyone provided they can breathe unaided and children don't burst into tears upon first sighting:
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Haha, don't really fancy that Ninja :)

So if was to have them treated would they still be an issue? And does there tend to be a long recovery period?

6. Ninja_Stoker

It's best getting definitive guidance from a qualified service medical professional to be certain. My guess is you'd need to be 12 months clear of surgery before being medically eligible but again, I'm not qualified to advise so double-check before doing anything.

Good luck.
  7. Ok thanks Ninja, I appreciate the info