MoD: "1SL Signs Naval Pact With Brazil"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Nov 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'RN Goes Nuts'

2. Perhaps the Brazilian Navy will allow its poor relation, the RN, to scrub down its aircraft carrier now and again. According to the Pompey News, personnel on board the ill-fated Ark Royal are already showing willing by supporting Wagner in The X Factor.

(Wagner is Brazilian)

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Spooky how the linked page (above) vanishes from the MOD website, innit?

4. It didn't last long at all!

First was wearing a dodgy tie though.

5. How soon before JPA is flooded with assignment requests for Rio de Janeiro??

6. Nice portrait of ABC on 1SL's wall. I remember Alan West had a huge painting of Beatty when his office was in the Old War Office - both wore their caps at an angle. :lol:

7. Apologies for seeming to have given a duff link, guys - it was definitely active when I wrote my post.

It must have been moved later.

:)

8. Ninja_Stoker

Agreed.

You'd have though Flags would've got him a decent one whilst the page was offline. :wink:

9. The article is now online: X Factor Wagner's now got the Ark Factor!

10. Ninja_Stoker

11. Definitely a "No Dad tie..."!

Just cant get the staff these days... or else DII wont allow access to Photoshop to "airbrush" it!

12. On a historical note:

In 1823, Admiral Thomas Cochrane, 10th Earl of Dundonald, led the Brazilian Navy to secure the country's independence from Portugal. He was also the first to command the Chilean Navy which has preserved tradition by naming one of its recently acquired Type 23 frigates Almirante Cochrane (ex-HMS Norfolk) in his honour. Cdre the Hon Michael Cochrane OBE RN, younger son of the fourth Baron, has continued the family tradition of serving in the Royal Navy.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ironically, when a Commander, the Honourable Michael Cochrane commanded a Type 23 too - I remember "setting fire" to his engine room whilst working within FOST.

14. He must have loved you for that. Any idea if the statue of his forebear still stands outside what was the admin building at Cochrane in Rosyth? I used to read his biography on the accompanying plaque on my way to the wardroom and it was awe-inspiring.

15. Cozying up to Brazil is a good move as they can sell\give us some of their newly found mega amounts of oil for our flee ..... flotilll .... warshi ...... whatever we have left that still floats\moves\fights.

16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...he also enjoyed taking said vessel for some close-in navigation training around certain parts of Scotland, and would draw the Bridge's attention towards some reference point on the Starboard beam:

"OOW, do you see that rocky headland about 5 cables there (points)?"

"Yes, Sir. I do. Should I take a fix?"

"No, don't bother - just wanted to tell you that I owned it..."

:salut: :wink:

17. Cochrane; now that does not sound like an Arab name to me.

18. :? Far too subtle for me Finks :roll: