Moby Dick.. Wreck Found

Discussion in 'History' started by trelawney126, Feb 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "The sinking of the Two Brothers was relatively uneventful compared with the Essex's run-in with the sperm whale in 1821.
    After the Essex sank, Capt Pollard and his crew drifted at sea without food and water for three months and even resorted to cannibalism before they were rescued."

If anyone is looking for an exciting read, then the book 'In The Heart Of The Sea' by Nathaniel Philbrick is an epic account of the last voyage of the Essex, its sinking and the long voyage of survival afterwards. It is an easy read and I recommend it highly for anyone interested in nautical tales.

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

If you want to bone up on old fashioned whaling per se, nothing beats Frank Bullen's 'The Cruise of the Cachalot'.

3. Check out the 'New Bedford whaling museum. And Old Dartmouth historical society' Amazing museum.I think they have a web site.

4. Bit of a lightweight when compared to the likes of William Bligh. Cast adrift in an open boat 23'long 6'9" wlde navigated 3618nm in 47days.
    Still "In the Heart of the Sea" is a good read

5. I love Herman Melville.

His classic novel "Moby Dick" helped me get to sleep really quickly for several months.

Just read one page and it's instant zzzzzzzz.

No, really.

6. Dont knock the poor man. took him months:read2: to come up with the first lines.. 'my name is john' 'my name is fred' my name is harry'...=)

7. SOZ Didn't mean to be abrasive read it just after reading Fireman Sam:violent1:

8. :)
    Has to be said, another cracking good read.:)

9. Reminds me of What's on at the pictures?
    Moby Dick
    Don't like sex films
    It's not a sex film it's about whales.
    Can't stand those Welsh bastards either.

10. Remember those old Bob Hope movies.......

On the Tenby '65 ... Dartmouth Training Sqn...... Ghanian cadet to Chief Stoker....... 'Whats the movie tonight Chief?' Chief Stoker to cadet.... 'Call me Bwana'.... Ghanian cadet to Chief Stoker..... 'Whats the movie tonight Bwana?'....Gen dit ! ;)