Mobilisation

#1
Having just had an in-depth discussion with a mate who is trying out for 4 PARA, I wondered what the views on mobilisation are in the RN/RM community?

I am in the process of joining the RMR and mobilisation as I know It, is one of Intelligent mobilisation i.e. Lads that are in a position to deploy are added to a shopping list and 3 Commando Brigade pick out Marines from that list, dependant on what individual skills they require.

Whilst 4 PARA and the TA as a whole are supposed to work on the same system, I have heard of more and more of people who are being severely pressured to deploy. I have even heard of one lad who upon speaking to the PSI about joining, was given a bollocking and told pass P Company and you f*cking WILL be used on Operations and if you don’t like it F*ck off!!! (nice recruiting technique :D )

Obviously anyone who signs up must be prepared for mobilisation, however senior ranks tell us that the current situation is supposed to be one of volunteers only. With that in mind what are your view/experiences?

Spenny
 
#2
Spenny

Certainly in the RNR there is no pressure to go anywhere. In fact they are very particular who they send and where.

I think in the years to come that will change, and perhaps it has to, to tie in more closely with the way the TA use their guys. Maybe that's because there is now some lovat close to the top.

M(R)
 
#3
Just an observation,

I think that anyone considering joining any of the Reserve forces, would be pretty naive to think that they are unlikely to deploy.

You can just see the way things are being manipulated,to make the reserves much more useable and at much shorter notice.

I'm not having a go at anyone who joins for other reasons(each to their own)

When the new Carriers come on line there will need to be a few magicians at
Centurion, in order to man them.

All the best

Quarterdeck PO
 
#4
As reverse question (eh?), what if you want to deploy, be mobilised? I'm considering joining the RMR and assuming I get through all the required training I do want to deploy/be mobilised. (need the field experience as I would like to go on to do CQP/PSD work a few years down the line) Are they happy to mobilise you if you are keen to do so?

Great site btw!

JS
 
#5
John, old cliche, walk before you can run, it will take you around 18 months to earn a green lid via RMR, with continuation training and no injuries the best part of 2 years then an SQ with relevant training, all of this should be a single minded approach to one thing (the lid)

There are very few CP companies that run PSD's in Iraq/Afg that will employ people without operational military experience, question those that do, would you really want to trust your life with someone that has a piece of toilet paper that states " holder of this chit's a body guard, ninja with ticks in boxes"? guess not.-2 years is down the line, do the time.
 
#6
Right well,
At present in our unit there is a large waiting list to get on the next Herrick Deployment and i think very few are. So the answer is yes and no, you can deploy but not always. Lots of good guys have been told that they will have to wait for the next Herrick to come round before they get to go.

Of course as we were told many times through training if you are signing up you better be ready to go if and whenever you may be needed so don't start thinking otherwise.

K
 
#7
Scottish_Kiwi said:
Right well,
At present in our unit there is a large waiting list to get on the next Herrick Deployment and i think very few are. So the answer is yes and no, you can deploy but not always. Lots of good guys have been told that they will have to wait for the next Herrick to come round before they get to go.

Of course as we were told many times through training if you are signing up you better be ready to go if and whenever you may be needed so don't start thinking otherwise.

K
i am in the RMR, the reason i joined was to get deployed operationaly, if you are not sure if you want to get deployed then dont join. it seams some people try to join the RMR to be the big guy infront of there crap mates and shit family with there low life work colleages in there wast of space jobs. and as to wanting to do close protection you having a turkish bath. stop wasting you time on the net put your trainers on. and join the corps as a regular.
 
#8
Hi,
I've only recently found out about the RMR and am really keen to apply although I'm going to miss the april selection so I can get myself more physically in shape for the task. I understand and accept the realities of mobilisation and would volunteer for the opportunity. My only question is this:
If we agree to volunteer are we at the mercy the powers that be as to how long we serve during any given operation?
The reason i ask is I would volunteer and on a regular basis, but I would like to go for 2-4 weeks at a time, I have a young family, new house and job here in civi-world, if mobilisation ment being away for months at a time I would be as well packing in the job and joinging the regulars.

Any help?
 

miffta

Midshipman
#9
ibuchanan82 said:
Hi,
I've only recently found out about the RMR and am really keen to apply although I'm going to miss the april selection so I can get myself more physically in shape for the task. I understand and accept the realities of mobilisation and would volunteer for the opportunity. My only question is this:
If we agree to volunteer are we at the mercy the powers that be as to how long we serve during any given operation?
The reason i ask is I would volunteer and on a regular basis, but I would like to go for 2-4 weeks at a time, I have a young family, new house and job here in civi-world, if mobilisation ment being away for months at a time I would be as well packing in the job and joinging the regulars.
ibuchanan82!! i agree with you.. I am in the process of joining up with the RMR. If i do get through training etc, etc and i get the chance i would most definately voulunteer aswell... To me thats the who purpose of doing the training(otherwise id just join the Boy scouts or something)

BUT the idea of being in the reserve should be to go when you choose(obviously not at times of crisis when you'd have to go) Like you Said if you are going to be forced to go for months at a time you might aswell join the regulars
 

trehorn2

Lantern Swinger
#10
The idea (in the RNR anyways) is that if you volunteer to be deployed then it will be for a period of 4-6 months. 2-4 weeks would be classed as ORT and not really a deployment. ORT is undertaken at least once a year anyway to get your bounty.

The amount of organisation that goes into deploying some one is massive and therefore it is enormously impractical to do it for such short periods.
 
#11
Most deployments with the RMR will be at least 3 months and now more likely to be 6 months + mobilisation and beat up which could take it upto 10/11 months.

You WILL NOT be deploying for 2-4 weeks here and there, as it will take you almost a week to get mobilised and then a week to get your self in a unit and into the operational theatre.

If you are going to get mobilised it will be for an extended period so don't start thinking you can fit a war into your easter holidays.

Rant over

K
 
#14
laxy said:
British troops are taking part in two separate missions in Afghanistan.

Operation Fingal is the UK-led peacekeeping mission. Almost 20 other nations have contributed to this operation based in the Afghan capital Kabul. but don't count on them unless they are US FORCES.
The second is Operation Veritas, an offensive mission led by US forces against Taleban and al-Qaeda units still operating in Afghanistan

On 18 March this year, the government announced that it woud be sending ground troops to combat operations as part of the US's Operation Enduring Freedom. ITS TIME TO BE COUNTED - (RMR MANCHESTER
)
RMR trained ranks have been mobilising for wars for years. In my time it was the first gulf war and Op safe haven where Marines were taken from the ranks and mobilised for operations. Before that i believe there were a large amount of reservists that took part in the Falklands conflict aswell. I would say that the only thing that has changed is the Armed Forces act.
 
#15
I'm glad I posted my Q on the thread, it's really cleared some stuff up for me.
I'm still eager to join the RMR but I know now my family/work commitments would restrict my ability to volunteer for mobilisation for the time it requires, and i doubt i'd get much respect if i did join and never volunteer.

Thanks for clearing this up, I'm sorry I can't make the commitment and I wish all those that do sign up all the very best

Ian
 

MOOSE

Lantern Swinger
#16
laxy
i dont know where you got your quote from re RMR Manchester , but that is definatley unofical , may i caution you to be careful what you are posing as visitors to the site may get the wrong impression.
re mobilisation- present duration is six months in theatre but with optag and potl you are looking at nearly 12 months from your civvy job and six months away from home with a two week r&r package inbetween.
For general information RMR is still practising "intelligent mobilisation" for anyone who is keen there will be ample oppertunity to deply over the next few years.
 

laxy

Midshipman
#17
MOOSE said:
laxy
i dont know where you got your quote from re RMR Manchester , but that is definatley unofical , may i caution you to be careful what you are posing as visitors to the site may get the wrong impression.
re mobilisation- present duration is six months in theatre but with optag and potl you are looking at nearly 12 months from your civvy job and six months away from home with a two week r&r package inbetween.
For general information RMR is still practising "intelligent mobilisation" for anyone who is keen there will be ample oppertunity to deply over the next few years.
YEAH MOOSE (WHAT QUOTE IS THAT THEN?) :idea:
 

laxy

Midshipman
#18
IF YOU MEAN THE INFORMATION ABOUT DEPLOYMENT, I GOT IT FROM THE ROYAL MARINE WEB SITE, FOOL. THIS FORUM IS SO BLOGGERS CAN COME ON AND CHAT ABOUT THE ROYAL MARINES OR THE RMR, ITS NOT FOR SCARE MOUNGERS LIKE YOU TO SAY WHAT I CAN'T SAY ESPECIALLY WHEN IT CAME FROM THE OFFICIAL WEB SITE
 

MOOSE

Lantern Swinger
#19
laxy
my point is this , " ITS TIME TO BE COUNTED (RMR MANCHESTER) " is not a quote from any official source. More likley the fantasies of a "walt". I feel that this is misleading to any people who may be visiting the site and gives completley the wrong impression of what the RMR is about.
Comments like this are not constructive.
Your comments re "scaremongers" and "fool" are inappropriate.
i shall be contacting a moderator
 

laxy

Midshipman
#20
YOUR ATTITUTE IS ONE I WOULD EXPECT FROM THE ENEMY, ARE YOU IRAQI?


WHY SHOULD I WASTE MY TIME, ON PEOPLE THAT WASTE MY TIME..
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts