Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mobilisation of self-employed / contractors


Lantern Swinger
I have been asked if I would be available for mobilisation for Op HERRICK as part of the RNRs “intelligent mobilisation†whereby they take those who want to go and whose work circumstances allow it.

I want to go but I am concerned as I am a contractor and have not been able to get a straight answer as to how MOD deals with contractors / self-employed individuals. All the money I earn is paid through my limited company and as such I don’t have a wage with which to provide a P60 as proof of income.

Does anybody know what the process is for individuals that are self-employed?


Book Reviewer
Have you looked at at Sabre web site?

Since you've sey as a limited company, I think that your company can claim compensation for the financial loss incurred by your mobilisation in order to hire a replacement for you.


War Hero
know where youre coming from beerbad. I to am limited company status and had the same issue. The pen pushers in the UPO were very unhelpful or they just didn't have a clue. I happily offered the companies accounts for the year but as you said they want a P60. They just seemed not to be interested. Oh well no sun tan for me!!


Lantern Swinger
I know this is not quite connected to the above thread but perhaps someone could put me to the wise here. I have recently been informed that I have been moved a step closer to mobilisation for Op Herrick. The question is: Do/will they operate JPA from that theatre of operations or have they got another method of paying wages for those carrying out a 6 month tour of duty out there?.


UPOs look for P60s because they assume we are employed by somebody. In fact, any time after the start of the Tax Year it is actually your most recent pay slip and PAYE reference that they need.

Self Employed are, by definition, employers and are assisted by SaBRE. Get in touch with your local SaBRE Regional Campaign Director at your local RFCA offices for more info. In theory your own RU's Employer Liaison Officer (ELO) should also be able to help, but not all have received their training yet.


War Hero
FlagWagger is more or less correct about the compensation. At least, the MoD will compensate reservists called up from civilian professions to ensure they are not financially disadvantaged through serving in theatre (or otherwise). This was in practice when GW II kicked off.

I can't be absolutely certain but it seems logical that there would be a similar scheme which would compensate self-employed individuals in limited companies.

Try contacting the Royal Naval Overseas Support Unit at HMS NELSON. They used to deal with the mobilisation of personnel and had a hand in this sort of thing. From what I remember they should have a contact for someone in the old 2SL (now Fleet Headquarters) organisation who should be able to advise as a normal part of their day job.

If you have problems getting hold of them PM me and I'll find you some contact numbers.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Mobilisation opportunities Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
M Mobilisation and Bounty (that old Chestnut) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 12
J Mobilisation - not RMR though RMR 34
trehorn MOBILISATION Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
P Mobilisation & RNFT Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 15
H mobilisation Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
O Mobilisation Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
S General Mobilisation Questions Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
T Volunteering for compulsory mobilisation Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
W Mobilisation Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
Shakey What happened to the NCAGS mobilisation thread? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 22
Shakey MTO mobilisation. Safeguard. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 84
W Mobilisation RMR 22
S Mortgages on Mobilisation Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
H Mobilisation Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
MoD_RSS Fascinating facts about Self Assessment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK on the cusp of a transport revolution, as self-driving vehicles set to be worth nearly £42 billion by 2035 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Self Assessment customers use online tax payment plans to help spread the cost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace told a record number of people to self-isolate over Christmas week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Self Assessment deadline: less than a month to go MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA issues exceptional use authorisation for NHS Test and Trace COVID-19 Self-Test device MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defra update on GB-NI authorised trader self-identification MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Chief Medical Officers' statement on the self-isolation period: 11 December 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Capital Gains Tax changes that Self Assessment customers need to know MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Self Assessment customers warned about scammers posing as HMRC MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government extends Furlough to March and increases self-employed support MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government extends extra welfare support for self-employed for further six months MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government increases support for self-employed across the UK MoD News 0
R The Dreadful self harm. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Just 100 days left for Self Assessment MoD News 0
N Cost of self funded foundation degree? (Warfare) UPO/Careers Office 1
MoD_RSS Self Assessment customers to benefit from enhanced payment plans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New legal duty to self-isolate comes into force today MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New package to support and enforce self-isolation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Humandrive: vehicle completes 230 mile, self-navigated drive across the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New payment for people self-isolating in highest risk areas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Million of self employed to benefit from second stage of support scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GAD reviews Flood Re's first self-assessment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Health and care workers to self-isolate on return to England from high-risk countries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Health and care workers to self-isolate on return to UK from high-risk countries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from the UK Chief Medical Officers on extension of self-isolation period: 30 July 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Self-isolation lifted for lower risk countries in time for holidays this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Self-employed new parents can claim support grant MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor extends Self-Employment Support Scheme and confirms furlough next steps MoD News 0
hunter1692 Self Introduction RFA 4
MoD_RSS Applications for Self-Employment Income Support Scheme open early MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Self-employed invited to get ready to make their claims for coronavirus (COVID-19) support MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: guidance on self-employed complex means applications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor outlines new coronavirus support measures for the self-employed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor gives support to millions of self-employed individuals MoD News 0
Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts