Mobile phones on ships

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by QUATE8203, Jan 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it possible? If not do you get much allowance to use the phone to call your family / partner?

2. I dont know about mobiles, I do know that ipods are a must have, however.

3. Do you even get signal though is what I'm getting at lol

4. hi luv,
    when you are at sea you will not get a signal on the upper deck. There are phones on board, if you are away from the wall for over a certain amount of time (im not sure how long) you will get 20-30 mins free a week. you will be able to purchase phone cards on board and should be able to email home most days. this info is for skimmers.

5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

If I didn't know better I'd swear this was a wind up.

6. I am planing on getting an iPhone, best of both. Even more of a must now that I gave my Nokia a good wash in the machine :cry:

7. Lmao, sorry my mistake.

8. I thought this at first too, but then some people just have no idea how mobile phones work. :wink:

9. why not just put all of tonight's questions into one thread o.o

10. Simple answer is if you can see land you can get a signal, Earth curverature (spelling?) Iphones with all your music on great, until you have to hand them in for operations. No music no games. :cry:

Edit . just remembered COMSEC

11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Anything to do with our friend Arthur?

12. Middle name J. by any chance?

13. wet_blobby

Ain't got a clue what his middle name is mate, I'm referring to the knob with the ipod and Iranian friends.

14. WWFC just ask the Captain if you can use the Secure Batphone in his cabin to have a chat with your mum/GF, he won't mind, especially if you bring some choccy biscuits.
    It always worked for me.

15. Now you mention it his last name was Rank in Iran.
    Plus Ipods do not have to be handed in under COMSEC just tx devices e.g. Iphones.

mong spelling edit

16. wet_blobby

That makes sense, it must make some seniors smile when they see empty payphones by the dockside now. When they joined there would have been big queues waiting to phone loved ones after being at sea for x amount of days.

17. Wanting an iPhone for the amount of functions in one box aspect. Not really a problem handing it in for Ops as I plan to have a Laptop as a secondary gadget loaded with iTunes (same music as iPhone) and films.

:)

18. These days its fairly rare to be out of mobile range for any great length of time. Most of the SWAPPS, channel, north sea and the med are in a footprint.

19. Think I just came over as a right nerd then! Well I am going CIS and I like gadgets, I can't apologise for that.

Not planning on spending all my time on my pit listening to music and watching films, however its good to "escape" now and then no doubt.