MN to RN transfer

Good day all,

I am writing this post to get you professional experience and reviews on transferring from the MN to RN. I know mostly its the opposite way around where people wanting to go RN to MN

I am currently serving as a 2nd engineer onboard a merchant vessel, I have all MCA qualifications in engineering watchkeeping (STCW III/2) and relevant STCW certs. I have completed my cadetship and have been qualified for 4 years so I have job experience. I previously joined the RN when I was younger just out of school but I left shortly afterward as I felt I was to young. Now I have settled down and I am wanting to re-apply again as I want a more challenging career.

At the moment I am an engineering officer and would like to join the RN as an engineering officer but I am told I cannot join as a officer as I don't have a degree (I took the HND route), I have seen the Re-engineer your career advertisement which would allow me to enter as a direct entry petty officer. I know this is a rating role but at least I will be able to gain experience in what the real life is like in the RN prior to advancing up the ranks. is this a good idea? Is there any engineers out there to be able to enlighten me on the roles of a petty officer in the engineering department?

Being told also that there is a possibility of the RN putting me though the course so I can obtain a Beng (hons) degree in which I can them advance to an officer role, has anyone done this scheme?

I thank you for any information or guidance you may have.

soleil

War Hero
Being told also that there is a possibility of the RN putting me though the course so I can obtain a Beng (hons) degree in which I can them advance to an officer role, has anyone done this scheme?

Good morning, MNE

Details of the Engineering Degree scheme are in Chapter 50 of BR3.

I know that there will be fuller answers from other posters later on, but I was wondering whether you would have the opportunity to see a Royal Navy Careers Advisor in one of the AFCOs at some point. Are you in the UK at the moment?

soleil

War Hero
MNE

Check out page 11 of this issue of Navy News.

Good Day Soleil,

I appreciate all of your help and information that you have given me. I am currently in Japan at the moment onboard and wont be back in the UK until late 2020 that's why I thought I would do a bit of scouting information out prior to returning. I have been in contact with my local AFCO about this and they are passing around info etc to see what they can do.

Me posting on here was to get the "real" persons views from you guys in how you feel like this programme goes as I know some websites sugar-coat things and when you land a job there its completely different to what they say.

Do you know what roles and jobs a petty officer engineer would have onboard? Is it mainly watchkeeping or more managing the team for maintenance?

Connemara

You need to get in contact with the MN Liaison officer who is based at Collingwood. He will be able to give you the correct advice for MN to RN as an officer.

Chris P

Lantern Swinger
Hope you're not on a floating block of flats (cruise ship), seriously though way back in the 60's we had a mature MN Officer who had joined the mob onboard in our mess, he did all his basic training and then he was fast tracked from Met OD through to PO in short order and then drafted off, we all assumed he climbed the ladder pretty quick from there, never came accross him again. History I know but I would expect the mob to have schemes in place to cover this sort of scenario.

Connemara

Good day all,

I am writing this post to get you professional experience and reviews on transferring from the MN to RN. I know mostly its the opposite way around where people wanting to go RN to MN

I am currently serving as a 2nd engineer onboard a merchant vessel, I have all MCA qualifications in engineering watchkeeping (STCW III/2) and relevant STCW certs. I have completed my cadetship and have been qualified for 4 years so I have job experience. I previously joined the RN when I was younger just out of school but I left shortly afterward as I felt I was to young. Now I have settled down and I am wanting to re-apply again as I want a more challenging career.

At the moment I am an engineering officer and would like to join the RN as an engineering officer but I am told I cannot join as a officer as I don't have a degree (I took the HND route), I have seen the Re-engineer your career advertisement which would allow me to enter as a direct entry petty officer. I know this is a rating role but at least I will be able to gain experience in what the real life is like in the RN prior to advancing up the ranks. is this a good idea? Is there any engineers out there to be able to enlighten me on the roles of a petty officer in the engineering department?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Bank of England consent to transfer of authorisation to issue Northern Irish banknotes MoD News 0
A Quickest way to transfer to Regulars? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS NDA completes transfer of plutonium from Dounreay MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Your Learning Map to transfer to GOV.UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GAD’s advice helped people on TUPE transfer MoD News 0
R Transfer from RM to Navy Diver UPO/Careers Office 3
MoD_RSS Right to transfer determinations: West Kensington and Gibbs Green Estates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Right to transfer determination: Cressingham Gardens Estate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister announces new transfer option for mortgage interest support MoD News 0
rabbutler1985 PO GS to transfer to SM either as SNCO or Officer Submariners 6
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister announces new transfer option for mortgage interest support MoD News 0
1 Lateral transfer into the RN; possible? What if trained in RN? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
MoD_RSS News story: Winfrith land transfer secures £1.7 million savings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF medics transfer UN hospital in South Sudan to Vietnamese MoD News 0
T Transfer from RM to RN Joining the Royal Navy 25
Armouredcav18 British Army to Royal Navy transfer Joining the Royal Navy 3
A Branch transfer as an AB1 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
B Looking into a transfer to AC The Fleet Air Arm 23
C Army to Navy transfer advice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
C Weapon engineer, role transfer? Joining the Royal Navy 23
S Transfer to RAN Submariners 12
NateDogg Able to transfer/ move to another common wealth force? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
W Transfer to Royal Marines questions? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
Bill6001 Army Reservist transfer to Royal Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Army Sgt Vehicle Mechanic (REME) transfer to Royal Navy ME Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
Richbomber Transfer offer received The Fleet 34
P Your advice RM transfer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
P Possible drafts or transfer opportunities Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
D Army to Navy qualified nurse transfer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Army to navy transfer UPO/Careers Office 3
J Army transfer to navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
Richbomber Transfer from REME to ETME (SM) Submariners 5
D Transfer to Full Time Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
S branch Transfer from GS to Subs... whats the process? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
I Army to Navy Transfer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
divingduke Transfer from RNR to RN UPO 3
F branch transfer from warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
gerrysurfs Transfer from submarines to surface UPO/Careers Office 5
S Considering attempting to transfer X(GS) Submariners 4
E Transfer to MA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
E Transfer from RM to RN officer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
chrismonc87 RN to RNR Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 10
L Branch transfer to student nurse Bases / Shore Est 2
MoD_RSS News story: MOD announces go ahead for land transfer for Plymouth City Deal MoD News 1
S Weapons Engineer transfer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
S REME CLASS 1 TECH ELEC TRANSFER Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
T Transfer from Army Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
gerrysurfs Branch transfer for medical reasons? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
justadrama Pension transfer Finance & Pensions 7
S RNR to RN transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8