MN Officer joining RNR

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by MN30, May 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Firstly a little information about me. I am a Merchant Navy Deck Officer (Third Mate) with a Cruise ship company. I was interested in joining the RNR when I was a cadet but I decided to wait until I had my OOW license so I would have more spare time for the RNR. I now have a little over 9 months sea time as a 3rd Mate.

I have just this evening attended a recruiting evening. I was very impressed with the overall presentation and am keen to take the next steps towards joining. I was, however, disappointed by one thing - when I asked about List 1 the recruiting officer didn't seem to know anything about it. I realise that there aren't a lot of MN Officers in the RNR and this is probably why noone seems to know much when it comes to the subject.

I was told as I left that the next step is for me to visit my local AFCO and tell them I would like to join. I have no problem doing this but I'm concerned I may face the same problem with the AFCO not knowing the specific details about MN Officers in the RNR. I don't mean to be rude about anyone's lack of knowledge, like I said there seems to be a shortage of MN personnel in the RNR, and I'm sure that's why its unknown territory for people.

I will contact my local AFCO tomorrow and take it from there but if anyone has any advice for me then please feel free to post, all help is greatly appreciated.

2. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

I am ex MN and had the same issues. I have been out of the RNR loop for a while now, so this may be a gash buzz. If nothing else has changed, you are looking to join the Amphibious Warfare Branch - I suspect the List 1 label may be old school these days, although I will stand corrected on that one if not so.

There are only a handful of MN/RNR types knocking around, but they tend to be an unusual and dedicated breed. My advice would be to go for it, and to make sure you are the best all the way through your selection and training. Some of the crustier old fossils may look down their nose at you to begin with, but nothing succeeds like success.

I will place a wager that at AIB one of your interview subjects will be 'Schettino - dick. Discuss.'

Good luck - and in the fullness of time you may have a blue ensign hanging off the back of your cruise liner, unless some killjoy has stopped that as well.

3. Did a cruise last year, the skipper was RNR and the ship flew the blue ensign.

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

The Torpoint ferry doesn't count as a cruise.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The wife doesn't know that Janner, £1:50 all in..bargain.

• Like Like x 1