Missles fired in anger.......

themonkeyg0d

Midshipman
P2000 said:
IIRC a number of the TLAM fired by TURBULENT were gifted to us by the USN, because our war stocks were so small.

That was a long patrol. Telic 1 was just another thing to do. I was luck enough to ride back from Gib with TURBULENT. Had a great time, and was thoroughly impressed by everyone and everything.

Am curious just how long did Turbulent spend on her Iraq deployment? The reason I ask is that according to wiki..

On 16 April 2003 HMS Turbulent was the first Royal Navy vessel to return home from the war against Iraq. She arrived in Plymouth flying the Jolly Roger after launching thirty Tomahawk cruise missiles.

I also believe that the crew didn`t qualify for the claps to the Iraq medal? Am I right in thinking they spent less than a week?

Qualifying criteria........The Iraq Medal with Clasp ‘19 Mar to 28 Apr 2003’

Naval personnel were awarded the medal with clasp for 7 days continuous service at sea within certain specified geographical boundaries between those dates.

21_Man

War Hero
themonkeyg0d said:
P2000 said:
IIRC a number of the TLAM fired by TURBULENT were gifted to us by the USN, because our war stocks were so small.

That was a long patrol. Telic 1 was just another thing to do. I was luck enough to ride back from Gib with TURBULENT. Had a great time, and was thoroughly impressed by everyone and everything.

I also believe that the crew didn`t qualify for the claps to the Iraq medal? Am I right in thinking they spent less than a week?

Maybe they didn't get ashore ;-)

N

NelliesWellies12

No im sorry thats not accurate,

we did a weapon load in diego garcia which was an absolute mare due to the swell range and then went into the gulf into bahrain, had 9 days in bahrain and then sailed and went round in circles in a box designated for us by the yanks for nearly 9 weeks before we fired, we had a boat transer about 5 weeks in to bring us fresh veg and some back aftie spares and then fired 15 missiles on the first day of the conflict, all empty canisters were ejected into the gulf rather than bringing them back into the boat to speed up the reloading process. immidiately after firing the last missile we dropped our towed array and left for gibraltar via the red sea and suez canal.

:lol: