missing US troops

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by brazenhussy, May 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Come on guys, if it was they were our people , we'd be fervently praying for their safe return. Let's not write their chances of return off just yet.

I imagine right now, the Americans and others are turning the whole ville over looking for their people.

Let's just hope they will be found alive, and at the moment are being kept alive for ransom or prisoner exchange.

Because if they are executed, then everyone from the Iraqi government (ho-ho) down can bloody well stand by to stand by.

2. I would be most suprised if these soldiers were returned alive unfortunately the people holding them have not been raised in the same manner as the soldiers of the West. They are very quick to shout at the slightest abuse of their people who are being held by the authorities but do not believe that they are under the same rules.
    It is long past time for us to hand the reigns over to the government of Iraq and pull our troops out.
    The Iraqi's will then produce their own Arabic version of democracy and not that demanded by the Western world.

3. Not writing them off PTP… just being brutally realistic. Those US troops were effectively 'dead' the minute they were captured. It's only a matter of time before the videos are shown on Al Jiz.

An American friend of mine did a few turns as a PSG up in that area. Whenever they went outside the wire, SOP for his team was to tape a frag grenade to their webbing on the left chest… as he put it, "We don't do orange jumpsuits".

4. PTP - I posted on the subject over on ARRSE and had my message bumped when the thread that I had posted on mysteriously became an RIP only thread.

What everyone seems to be missing is that this happened in the area of Mahmudiyah where there is a virulent hatred of the US Army caused in part by the antics of a squad of soldiers from the 101st Airborne. AQI have already linked the engagement in which the captives were taken with the rape and murder of Abeer Qasim Hamzi.

The best thing that the captives can hope for is that that they are used as hostages but I am more inclined to believe that they will be executed in a manner that will provoke US outrage and an over-reaction. You said in your post that if they are executed "then everyone from the Iraqi government down can stand by to stand by" - What will we do? Illegally invade them, wreck their country and kill a few hundred thousand civvies?? Whoops no...we already did that !!

We will see what tack Golden Brown takes but I would be amazed if the Brits aren't preparing to abandon the whole mess and exit stage right. Certainly no good will come of staying.

Iraq is lost. Afghanistan soon will be. Pakistan is on the edge of the abyss. Pretty good going for the first 4 years of T WAT don't you think?

RM

5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Unfortunately the previous occurance of this did not end well......

6. All the original reports indicated that this was a US vehicle patrol that was mobile at the point of contact and was ambushed by insurgents. This doesn't appear to be the case and the latest reports that are emerging are far more worrying.

This is a quote from a blog echoes what I have been hearing on the news:

Assault of an Outpost?
    I have been listening to the television coverage of the ongoing search for several men of the 4th Battalion, 31st Infantry Regiment, 10th Mountain Division south of Baghdad in the Mahmoudiyah area.

The latest I have heard indicates that these eight men were in an observation post consisting of two up-armored HUMVEES surrounded by concertina wire and that the position was attacked at 0400 (CNN Barbara Starr) from four sides, that the assaulting force breached the wire and overran the position. According to CNN, the "patrol" had been in that oupost for five hours.

If that is so, then this was not a patrol. It was an outpost placed there to watch for the emplacement of IEDs (on a road presumably). The battalion appears to have had other such outposts out that night.

If this is all correct it means that someone attacked a static heavily armed position and did it very quickly [the US patrol didn't manage to get off any radio calls]. Very disturbing.

RM