Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing sister was a WREN

Seaking824

Badgeman
Looking for anyone who knew or can help me find my sister Sandra (Sandie) Kirby, she was a WREN Officers Steward and at Dauntless about '65 or '66, I know she was at RNAS Culdrose in '67 as my Ganges class visited there

I lost contact with my sister over 35 years ago, last I heard she was in the Cambridge UK area if anyone knew her or knows her whereabouts today please fee free to contact me.

She would be about 60+ years old now, I heard she lived above a fish and chip shop in Cambridge some years ago. Could also be under the name of Sandra Jones. I'm just trying to find out if she's still alive.

I know it's a longshot but I've had so much help in Navy forums in the past thought it was worth a try.

Many thanks

I can be contacted at [email protected]

Rip Kirby

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Rip, have you tried Forces Reunited there is also a WRNS website which may be helpful.

soleil

War Hero
SK

I'll see what I can do.

Middle name?

Where was she born?

Date of Birth? approx is fine.

Did she marry?

PM me if you wish with the info.

RoofRat

War Hero
Rip I was at Culdrose at that time, and I believe I knew her as Sandy Jones. My ex was a "Crumb Duster" there at the same time.
I have started a search through old friends who were there at the same time.
I'll be in touch, shortly.
Roofs

Seaking824

Badgeman
Many thanks for the replies guys.

Can't remember her DOB off hand but I can find that out, she would be about 60 or so by now so YOB would be 1950 I think.
Yes she did marry after leaving the Wrens...again I think, her married
name was Jones.

morsehorse

Lantern Swinger
Rip
Try 192.com
quite a few Sandra Jones listed on there in that area and also about the same age
Good luck
MH

Seaking824

Badgeman
morsehorse said:
Rip
Try 192.com
quite a few Sandra Jones listed on there in that area and also about the same age
Good luck
MH

Thanks for that site, is there something similar in the UK that is free ?

Seaking824

Badgeman
RoofRat said:
Rip I was at Culdrose at that time, and I believe I knew her as Sandy Jones. My ex was a "Crumb Duster" there at the same time.
I have started a search through old friends who were there at the same time.
I'll be in touch, shortly.
Roofs

So you actually knew her, that's great. I only have 3 pics of her so thought I would post one of them (hope I'm allowed to post a pic, if not I apologize.

A picture is worth a thousand words so they say. This was taken while she was at Culdrose at some function or other.

Did we know each other, I was drafted to Culde Jan of '69 after my part 2 training at Arbroath, I was a NAM A/E

sweetpea

War Hero
Hi Rip,

The England & Wales Marriage index 1916-2005 lists the following:

Sandra A Kirby to David Jones Apr-May-Jun 1969 Surrey South Eastern Surrey

Sandra Kirby to Anthony Jones Apr-May-Jun 1970 West Bromwich Staffordshire

Sandra A Kirby to Ivan Jones Oct-Nov-Dec 1971 Fakenham Norfolk.

I am a member of Genes Reunited and I have searched their listings for your sister. There are quite a few Sandra Kirby's listed, along with contact details. However, it really would be helpful if you could please supply your sisters birth location, as this would allow me to narrow down the search results a little.

SP.

Seaking824

Badgeman
Hi Sweatpea

Oh that's just great work, thank you. I can tell you it's the first one of the marriages you found. She did marry Dave Jones in '69.

Place of birth.mmmmmm well I was born in Peckham and she's 2 years older than me so lets go with Peckham.

I'll be calling my mother in Australia tonight to get her DOB and where born.

Can't thank everyone enough for helping me out on this one.

sweetpea

War Hero
Hi Rip,

Genes Reunited listing:

Sandra Kirby born 1951 Islington London.

Would you like me to make contact and enquire on your behalf?

SP.

Jenwren

Lantern Swinger
Rip, I'll enquire on your Jennywrens group, several of them were at Culdrose at that time, and may know her.
Also there is a big group on Facebook, Wrens Past and Present, it may be worth asking the question on there as well.
I'll let you know if I come up with anyrhing.
JW

Seaking824

Badgeman
sweetpea said:
Hi Rip,

Genes Reunited listing:

Sandra Kirby born 1951 Islington London.

Would you like me to make contact and enquire on your behalf?

SP.

I'm not sure if that would be her SP, if memory serves me right she's two years older than me, that would put her only a year older than me. I'll get info from my Mother in a few hours because of the time diff and let you know.

On a note I guess it wouldn't hurt to make a quick call and see if it is her, thanks

Seaking824

Badgeman
Jenwren said:
Rip, I'll enquire on your Jennywrens group, several of them were at Culdrose at that time, and may know her.
Also there is a big group on Facebook, Wrens Past and Present, it may be worth asking the question on there as well.
I'll let you know if I come up with anyrhing.
JW

Thanks, I already have a posting up on the Dauntless forum, every little helps though. I'll have to join up on facebook.

morsehorse

Lantern Swinger
Seaking824 said:
morsehorse said:
Rip
Try 192.com
Good luck
MH

It is a free site Rip
www.192.com
Hope this helps

sweetpea

War Hero
According to 192.com, there is a Sandra A Jones (aged between 60-65).

EDIT: Address and phone number removed for privacy.

SP.

Seaking824

Badgeman
morsehorse said:
Seaking824 said:
morsehorse said:
Rip
Try 192.com
Good luck
MH

It is a free site Rip
www.192.com
Hope this helps

Maybe I got it all wrong this morning, I saw a Sandra A Jones in Cambridge, when I clicked on the address icon it stated I needed to purchase credits to look at her info. I'll sure go there again though.
Yep, just tried again the one I wanted info on is in "premium" items that you have to pay for ........go figure lol.

Thanks

Seaking824

Badgeman
rosinacarley said:
Or you could try the WRENS group on facebook. Message the head girl - Jane Thatcher I think her name is.

Thanks,you must have ESP, I was just starting a search on facebook for wrns. I knew this would be the place to come and get help.

It's so nice to know there are such good people out there in the world.

You are welcome. I am trying to make up for having a bollocking on another site for breaking the rules of the BBC by not taking phots!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Consultation launches for A417 ‘Missing Link’ designs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Missing but not forgotten MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How a Manchester motorway could soon get its missing link MoD News 1
MoD_RSS UK provides military assistance in search for missing Chilean Air Force aircraft MoD News 0
soleil Gibraltar Chronicle: "Police Renew Search For Sailor Who Went Missing In 1986" Bases / Shore Est 4
MoD_RSS Have your say on final details for the A417 Missing Link scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Europe praises work of Western Balkans Missing Persons Group MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New law to help manage affairs of people who are missing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ilford boss banned over missing IT equipment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Resolving cases of missing persons MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Can you help trace the family of a missing World War 2 soldier? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Can you help trace the family of a missing World War 2 soldier? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: ‘Missing Link’ proposal unveiled for route linking Midlands and South West MoD News 0
themuddyduck Security and DBS checks - Am I missing something? Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Jail for travel agent who failed to explain missing thousands MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD appeal for families of missing or killed soldiers from the Korean War MoD News 0
Jockyfisher Medical Records are Missing Joining the Royal Navy 4
D Deserters/Missing in World War Two History 2
Goatman_Blue Missing RN veteran Feb 2017 Nearest & Dearest 5
A Will I be penalised for missing an interview? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Hooly How can the Navy operate with 35% of PO(ET) missing. Should Industry be taxed for poaching Engineers The Fleet 18
Tui Bird missing author ? The Fleet 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Missing Sailors Current Affairs 27
janner Ex Pats - missing your Marmite? Diamond Lil's 3
trelawney126 Telegraph: "Libyan arms that went missing under Gaddafi fuelling multiple conflicts" Current Affairs 1
F Missing threads Site Issues 3
soleil BBC: "Missing Arbroath Marine Ralph Hebden Sparks Air And Sea Search" The Corps 16
soleil Westmorland Gazette: Divers Plan Return To Lake Re Aircraft Missing For 67 Years The Fleet Air Arm 5
trelawney126 Cameroon Athletes go Missing Current Affairs 10
J Missing sailor Current Affairs 49
trelawney126 Pompey News: "Spinnaker Tower To Go Yellow For Missing Sailor" Bases / Shore Est 11
trehorn British Soldiers missing after explosion. Current Affairs 5
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Last Fifty - A Missing N_G Post? Site Issues 7
trelawney126 Can't Believe Cameron & Clegg Missing Out The Gash Barge 11
Bad CO Missing Avatars Site Issues 12
Jimmy_Green Missing Royal Navy Life? Nautical Jokes 8
The_Caretaker Missing Wife Miscellaneous 0
trelawney126 Abu Hamzas Missing Xmas Present Diamond Lil's 6
theymademedoit Missing Royal Navy life The Gash Barge 6
Hermes_R12 HMS Westminster in search for missing person Current Affairs 0
golden_rivet er ... am I missing something ...? Current Affairs 18
BillyNoMates US soldiers missing in Afghanistan Current Affairs 17
mattbea Who is the missing name?! - HMS Dreadnought 73/74 Submariners 4
soleil Droitwich Police appeal for help in tracing missing ex-Booty The Corps 0
R 11 years and an empty PF - Missing RORRS reps, letters.. The Corps 13
M missing a GCSE!! argh!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J leaving or left the corps and maybe missing it? The Corps 0
wave_dodger ANOTHER Forces personnel hard drive missing Current Affairs 27
left_handed_sailor Direct Entry - is there a bit missing? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
T Missing out...... RMR 16