Missing Sailors

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by BreathingOutOnTheWayUp, May 20, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Cheeki Rafiki: Missing yachtsman's daughter makes appeal

Drawn it to the attention of those at RR who use/used/hope to use (or abuse) that often nasty crinkly stuff during their professional lives.

The likelihood of these four experienced sailors surviving for many many more days yet?

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...e-missing-cheekirafiki-crew-dontstopsearching

No search = Very little chance. Search resumed = At least a slim chance of rescue.

On balance this PSOF reckons slim beats v. little so I have signed the petition.

Thoughts or NF!?

Bob L

Mmmmm - now if a Malaysian aircraft was mis....

(exits stage left, reverts to lurking mode)

2. I signed the petition, had an email from a friend who knew two of the crew.

I haven't read anywhere that the yank SAR crew searched inside the hull for bodies. Add to that there is enough history of folk surviving for weeks in just life rafts.

Robertson family springs to mind. 38 days at sea before rescue!
    Shipwrecked for 38 days: the real life family Robertson - Telegraph

I for one don't think the USCG did search for long enough before calling off the search.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

From a conversation with a USCG friend who is based out of Boston area he reckons it is now a find the bodies search. They did everything right, covered a huge area but the distress beacon faded and based on their experience the hope of finding them alive is slim. The sea temp is 15C and the wind is only just abating.

He is feeling a bit miffed that they see reports in UK as if they are to blame. As he said its not as if they didn't look.

Tricky one to be honest. The USCG has incredible SAR search programmes and they are normally on the money for either rescue or recovery. Plus, as he said, the beacons got them to the right area with nothing seen.

He was one of those stupid rescue blokes that jumps in (Aviation Survival Technician - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) but is now one of the senior officers there. Nice bloke, nails and great stories to tell.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I certainly don't blame the US Coast Guard for calling off the search, they fulfilled well over and above that expected - 600 miles out to sea in international waters. We aren't talking "inshore rescue".

When one considers that many Mediterranean countries won't even respond to "illegal immigrants" who send out a distress signal within 60 miles of their coast, it puts things into a moral perspective: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...d-as-two-more-migrant-boats-sink-8874995.html

Should the US continue the search? I believe they should if there is a chance of survival and it is reasonably practical, but the life of a British person is worth no more or less than anyone else, whatever their reason for being at sea and in jeopardy.

5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Difficulty for USCG is that everyone sees the effort put into Operation Flog A Dead Horse aka the search for a black box in the Indian Ocean and assumes that is the norm..

6. That Searchwater RADAR and fast transit to the search area should significantly increase the contact probability: oh sorry, I was thinking Nimrod.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

That must be a fair haul for a RAF aircraft. One would imagine they would fly to the US and operate from there?

8. Only if they could be guaranteed 5 star hotels...

9. And assuming we still had Nimrods.....

10. I don't think anyone is criticising or blaming the USCG. What is being commented upon is the length of search time.

Survival times are very speculative. So many variables to factor in. Water temperature being just one. Big if but if they had managed to get into a life raft then with good dose of 'will to live' then you could be looking at in excess of four weeks. To stop searching after 50 hours.

As for which country searches - ?. If it were the UK that commenced the search or was Scene of Search Commander then I suspect the search may have been toned down but would have continued until either bodies recovered or survival time was reached. For example, have divers been inside the hull? I haven't read anywhere than they have.

i have been involved in many - many searches and one of the biggest factors is that search fatigue kicks in quite soon. You can only stare at the sea for so long before your eyes wander inside the search aircraft and the visual search is compromised. Which is why many areas are covered more than once. If the search height is too high then spotting debris or a body can easily be missed. You would be surprised how small the human body is when surrounded by millions of square miles of ogin!

My feeling are that the sea will have taken them and they will never be recovered but you don't give up searching.

11. Just been on the radio news ... RAF Hercybird left UK this morning, has arrived on station and is joining in the search however, as the interviewed crab pointed out ... its basically a transport aircraft ... there am no windows in the side and it certainly doesn't have the electronic search capability of the Orion! Down to the Mk 1 eyeball then!

12. Just popped my head out of the office into the hangar next door and the Hercs in there appear to all have windows down both sides! Both mk 4 & mk 5? Even the foreign ones?

Just had to set my mind at rest as I though I was looking out of one earlier this week?

Prob told that the hotel was fully booked and making excuses not to go!

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

• Like Like x 1
  13. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

The issue is that prevailing weather at the time led to a maximum survival time (best case) of 24 hours, and they searched for well over twice that time. It was a very small search area to look in, and there were plenty of flights out there.

My instinct is that they went down with the ship, and were dead a long time ago.

• Like Like x 1
  14. You sure the one you were in wasn't the black one with smoked glass, alloys and a go faster stripe ... not fogetting the fluffy pink dice in the cockpit ???

But got to agree with P T ... all depends on if they managed to get into survival gears and/or a life raft. Current sea temp is around 8C so unless they have managed to get out of the water into shelter like the bloke in the South Atlintic a few years back I don't hold out anyhome.

15. You've seen the Swedish fleet then?

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

16. Ninja_Stoker

17. Ninja_Stoker

Not looking good, latest reports indicate the liferaft wasn't deployed.