Missing a Flag???

Discussion in 'History' started by Suzie-Q, Mar 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone!!
    I hope that I'm in the correct forum. Should be fun for all of you sailors.
    Perhaps one of you know this "who done it"
    On May 14th 1987 I gave birth to my son in Toronto, Ontario. My husband and friends took my daughter then almost 4 to Harbourfront where an amazing warship from England was visiting. Now, my husband thinks he remembers its name also going to the Falklands.
    A few sailors saw my daughter and husband looking at them and invited them up and gave them a tour. They were such fun!! Offered her some "orange squeeze' and at the end told my husband to take off his coat. They took a 12 by 6 Union Jack out from a cabinet by the flag pole and wrapped his body up with it and said
    "a small souvenir"" We still have this flag and would like to know the name of the ship it came from.
    Have fun researching this ! :grin:
  2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

mmm I was there in HMS BRISTOL but that was 1984 - was going to ask whether you were sure of the date, but then figured you probably had the date of your son's birth pinned down..... :oops:

The next ship after that might have been HMS FIFE as part of the global DTS deployment - I'm pretty sure they went down the Great Lakes.

One person you could ask is the Naval Attache at the British Embassy - they are bound to have records of ship visits - even those 20 years ago.

Have to say that the visit to TO was one of my favourites and I still have the clipping of the local paper showing the ship from the CN Tower.
  3. I was thinking more Sheffield or Coventry.
  4. silverfox

Think you're right KoT - the DTS push would have been '85 or so..

5. Good luck with your search if your question can be answered this will be the sight, you never know some of the matelote`s involved might even be on line right now.
  6. Just giving this a bump up to see if anyone can help this lady!
  7. Think silverfox could be right about HMS Fife, just searched the article archives of the Toronto Star and found this article:

Toronto Star

which would seem to imply the ship was in the region at the time - nothing about a missing flag though :wink: , although don't think HMS Fife went to the Falklands,

Hope this helps
  8. True...Fife was in major refit in 82.
  9. silverfox

He shoots, he scores.....
  10. Thank you all for your time.Computers are amazing.I'm new at this!!
    Stay safe all of you, and thankyou. Fife it is! Now what to do with the flag?
  11. Why not keep hold of it until we get another Fife then hand it back to them, it would be a great gesture and a fantastic day for your family!
  12. With the exception of the obvious flaw (requires a ship to be built) in your wonderful plan - that's a cracking idea and, as you suggest, a great idea for a day out. I bet the PRO onboard would lap it up.

13. Either that of a ship affiliated to Fife, if one exists!
  14. Fly it in your front garden along side your Canadian Flag and when asked say, "A good bunch of lads (and now also lasses) it was a pressie"