Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing a Flag???

Suzie-Q

Hi everyone!!
I hope that I'm in the correct forum. Should be fun for all of you sailors.
Perhaps one of you know this "who done it"
On May 14th 1987 I gave birth to my son in Toronto, Ontario. My husband and friends took my daughter then almost 4 to Harbourfront where an amazing warship from England was visiting. Now, my husband thinks he remembers its name also going to the Falklands.
A few sailors saw my daughter and husband looking at them and invited them up and gave them a tour. They were such fun!! Offered her some "orange squeeze' and at the end told my husband to take off his coat. They took a 12 by 6 Union Jack out from a cabinet by the flag pole and wrapped his body up with it and said
"a small souvenir"" We still have this flag and would like to know the name of the ship it came from.
Have fun researching this ! :grin:

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
mmm I was there in HMS BRISTOL but that was 1984 - was going to ask whether you were sure of the date, but then figured you probably had the date of your son's birth pinned down..... :oops:

The next ship after that might have been HMS FIFE as part of the global DTS deployment - I'm pretty sure they went down the Great Lakes.

One person you could ask is the Naval Attache at the British Embassy - they are bound to have records of ship visits - even those 20 years ago.

Have to say that the visit to TO was one of my favourites and I still have the clipping of the local paper showing the ship from the CN Tower.

dt018a9667

War Hero
Suzie-Q said:
Hi everyone!!
I hope that I'm in the correct forum. Should be fun for all of you sailors.
Perhaps one of you know this "who done it"
On May 14th 1987 I gave birth to my son in Toronto, Ontario. My husband and friends took my daughter then almost 4 to Harbourfront where an amazing warship from England was visiting. Now, my husband thinks he remembers its name also going to the Falklands.
A few sailors saw my daughter and husband looking at them and invited them up and gave them a tour. They were such fun!! Offered her some "orange squeeze' and at the end told my husband to take off his coat. They took a 12 by 6 Union Jack out from a cabinet by the flag pole and wrapped his body up with it and said
"a small souvenir"" We still have this flag and would like to know the name of the ship it came from.
Have fun researching this ! :grin:

Good luck with your search if your question can be answered this will be the sight, you never know some of the matelote`s involved might even be on line right now.

BigglesAEO

Midshipman
Think silverfox could be right about HMS Fife, just searched the article archives of the Toronto Star and found this article:

Toronto Star

which would seem to imply the ship was in the region at the time - nothing about a missing flag though :wink: , although don't think HMS Fife went to the Falklands,

Hope this helps

Suzie-Q

Thank you all for your time.Computers are amazing.I'm new at this!!
Stay safe all of you, and thankyou. Fife it is! Now what to do with the flag?
Sue

kingoftwigs

War Hero
Why not keep hold of it until we get another Fife then hand it back to them, it would be a great gesture and a fantastic day for your family!

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
With the exception of the obvious flaw (requires a ship to be built) in your wonderful plan - that's a cracking idea and, as you suggest, a great idea for a day out. I bet the PRO onboard would lap it up.

SF

Fly it in your front garden along side your Canadian Flag and when asked say, "A good bunch of lads (and now also lasses) it was a pressie"

Nutty

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Consultation launches for A417 ‘Missing Link’ designs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Missing but not forgotten MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How a Manchester motorway could soon get its missing link MoD News 1
MoD_RSS UK provides military assistance in search for missing Chilean Air Force aircraft MoD News 0
soleil Gibraltar Chronicle: "Police Renew Search For Sailor Who Went Missing In 1986" Bases / Shore Est 4
MoD_RSS Have your say on final details for the A417 Missing Link scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Europe praises work of Western Balkans Missing Persons Group MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New law to help manage affairs of people who are missing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ilford boss banned over missing IT equipment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Resolving cases of missing persons MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Can you help trace the family of a missing World War 2 soldier? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Can you help trace the family of a missing World War 2 soldier? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: ‘Missing Link’ proposal unveiled for route linking Midlands and South West MoD News 0
themuddyduck Security and DBS checks - Am I missing something? Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Jail for travel agent who failed to explain missing thousands MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD appeal for families of missing or killed soldiers from the Korean War MoD News 0
Jockyfisher Medical Records are Missing Joining the Royal Navy 4
D Deserters/Missing in World War Two History 2
Goatman_Blue Missing RN veteran Feb 2017 Nearest & Dearest 5
A Will I be penalised for missing an interview? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Hooly How can the Navy operate with 35% of PO(ET) missing. Should Industry be taxed for poaching Engineers The Fleet 18
Tui Bird missing author ? The Fleet 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Missing Sailors Current Affairs 27
janner Ex Pats - missing your Marmite? Diamond Lil's 3
trelawney126 Telegraph: "Libyan arms that went missing under Gaddafi fuelling multiple conflicts" Current Affairs 1
F Missing threads Site Issues 3
soleil BBC: "Missing Arbroath Marine Ralph Hebden Sparks Air And Sea Search" The Corps 16
soleil Westmorland Gazette: Divers Plan Return To Lake Re Aircraft Missing For 67 Years The Fleet Air Arm 5
trelawney126 Cameroon Athletes go Missing Current Affairs 10
J Missing sailor Current Affairs 49
trelawney126 Pompey News: "Spinnaker Tower To Go Yellow For Missing Sailor" Bases / Shore Est 11
trehorn British Soldiers missing after explosion. Current Affairs 5
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Last Fifty - A Missing N_G Post? Site Issues 7
trelawney126 Can't Believe Cameron & Clegg Missing Out The Gash Barge 11
Bad CO Missing Avatars Site Issues 12
Jimmy_Green Missing Royal Navy Life? Nautical Jokes 8
The_Caretaker Missing Wife Miscellaneous 0
trelawney126 Abu Hamzas Missing Xmas Present Diamond Lil's 6
theymademedoit Missing Royal Navy life The Gash Barge 6
Hermes_R12 HMS Westminster in search for missing person Current Affairs 0
golden_rivet er ... am I missing something ...? Current Affairs 18
BillyNoMates US soldiers missing in Afghanistan Current Affairs 17
S Missing sister was a WREN Nearest & Dearest 28
mattbea Who is the missing name?! - HMS Dreadnought 73/74 Submariners 4
soleil Droitwich Police appeal for help in tracing missing ex-Booty The Corps 0
R 11 years and an empty PF - Missing RORRS reps, letters.. The Corps 13
M missing a GCSE!! argh!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J leaving or left the corps and maybe missing it? The Corps 0
wave_dodger ANOTHER Forces personnel hard drive missing Current Affairs 27
left_handed_sailor Direct Entry - is there a bit missing? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6