Misrepresentation of the People Act

Should it be Illegal for Elected Representatives to Lie to the Electorate?

• Total voters
Chieftiff, you've got me all confused. Can one be an extremist belonging to both wings at the same time, or would that be isopolemicism? Tony Benn and Iain Duncan Smith both appear to be isopolemists.

chieftiff

War Hero
Steve, I think and this is from memory as I haven't re-read the article, that Walden was trying to say that defining any modern political party or indeed politician as sitting to the left or right is just utter bollocks! :thumright:

Chieftiff, I'd agree. It has become meaningless with a Labour Party that is economically more conservative than the Tories whilst the Tories are less willing to promise any increase in defence investment. Mind you, as Stalin infamously observed, he and Hitler had more in common with each other that with the liberal democracies. Both used slave labour, engaged in scapegoating others for their own political failings and used genocide as the pursuit of politics by other means. Both loathed individual freedom, free speech, democracy. Both were in favour of a strong paternalistic family and state. Both expropriated property. An early lesson in the meaningless of left-right labelling in politics.

Perhaps Jarhead and (superintelligent) Bergen could enliken us if I'm correct in understanding that in the US Congress, unethical behaviour can result in a prison sentence? Perhaps we should apply the same here. Lying to the electorate is unethical.

Latest update...

A Private Member's Bill has been introduced (First Reading - HC Hansard: 17 Oct 07, Col 840) following on from the programme:

Elected Representatives (Prohibition of Deception) Bill 2006-07

The Second Reading is scheduled for 19 Oct 07.

Of course as the House will Prorogue shortly nothing will become of it, unless it is reintroduced in the next session and gains government support (unlikely).

[align=center]BILL PRESENTED

Elected Representatives (Prohibition of Deception)[/align]

Adam Price, supported by Lynne Jones, Mr. Dai Davies, Mr. Peter Kilfoyle, David Taylor, Dr. Richard Taylor, Mr. Angus MacNeil, Mr. Elfyn Llwyd, Hywel Williams and Andrew George, presented a Bill to create offences in relation to the publication of false or misleading statements by elected representatives; and for connected purposes: And the same was read the First time; and ordered to be read a Second time on Friday 19 October, and to be printed.
[HC Bill 162]
You can follow the progress (or otherwise) of the Bill via the link below:
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/pabills/200607/elected_representatives_prohibition.htm

If this ever became law, the Attorney General would just ensure there's enough "plausible deniabilty" to go round.

It makes me sick that they are getting paid to not do their job.