Misrepresentation of the People Act

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by come_the_day, Oct 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I watched a programme on the Beeb last night "Why Democracy?: The Ministry of Truth", where the proposer wanted to make it a criminal offence to lie to the electorate. I am in complete sympathy with this aim and was stunned by the attitude of many of our representatives in Parliament to the suggestion that such lying is wrong. I'd be interested to see the reaction of our august contributors!

2. I didn't see the program but how many honest and truthful politicians do we have?
    More to the point would be a law which required politicians to answer questions asked of them truthfully and without deviation.
    A straight answer is all that I ask.

3. That's never gonna happen Slim and you know it.

4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

5. There was a link on the BBC News online last night .

Its quite a good idea--------- Only thing is that the 'get out' clauses are there like answered' to the best of my knowledge' etc etc.
    Although I think from certain cases that have occurred in fairly recent
    history where untruths have been stated.

Might make some differences to Political Party lines.
    ---the promises promises heheh!

:nemo: :nemo:

6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

As our laws are made by the liars, fat chance of any change.

e e cummings:
    'a politician is an arse upon
    which everyone has sat except a man.'

7. What really made me laugh was the female labour MP who said that she had voted against the Iraq war, when she abstained, thus proving that MPs lie, but then said that she believes that democracy needs MPs to vote according to the party whip to survive.

Give me Clare Short's answer for true democracy, by allocating jobs in government according to votes cast, therefore always having a coalition of the parties.

8. Don't we all Slim? and a good sentiment to have, little chance of course but one can but dream, and hope........

Nice dream

9. Anyone see the programme about Windscale a few nights ago, where Harold Macmillan's grandson admitted that his grandfather lied in Parliament about the cause of the disaster at Windscale? If they lied back then in the "good old days" imagine what Bliar could do with a dossier that said there were actually no WMDs in Iraq before the Iraq war......

Remember, the easy way to tell a politician is lying......you can see his lips moving!

10. Yes and It made me laugh.

NOTHING has changed has it?
    :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:

11. No and I am now finding myself agreeing with a friend who once said, "why bother to vote, it only encourages them"

I have always voted since I attained the age, but now I find myself totally p1ssed off with the lot of them.

12. The last man to enter the Houses of Parliament with honest intentions was one Guido Fawkes !! The current generation of politicians have no sense of public service or duty, and are there to set themselves up for life, either in politics, or in industry or business when their term of office expires - oh, did I forget the pension that makes ours a pittance for donkeys years of service at their behest, in conditions that they cannot imagine ? A pox on the lot of them !!

13. Wow! What a cynical lot you are!
    And I'm 100% in agreement with you. The only difference being that I have been subjected to it for longer than the majority.

2BM

14. Politicians should be changed as often as a baby's nappy.
    And for the same reason.

15. Of course they should be allowed to lie.

Imagine one of the loony left standing up and asking operational questions like-
    Is there one of our nuclear subs in the Red Sea ?

Bring it in for manifesto`s by all means, that should be a legal requirement.

16. chieftiff

I think you give too much credit to our MP's, just how many, other than the cabinet would know the answer? Even then what's wrong with "On the grounds of national security you know I can't answer that question"

There is no excuse for a peoples representative to lie to those people, there may be questions that can't be answered but that just requires some common sense (oh dear we may have an issue there!) To quote a line "People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of the people.............."

A lie told by an MP with regard to any national issue is a misrepresentation of the facts. We pay our taxes in good faith, we trust our democratically elected government to invest our money for our benefit, how can this trust be maintained if we don't even know if this is the case?

Do you reall;y want our government to share Winston Churchill's view of government "The best argument against democracy is a five minute chat with the average voter"

It was said as a joke of course, a throw away line intended to stimulate debate, here is more of what Churchill had to say on democracy and it has never been nearer to the truth than it is now:

"We accept in the fullest sense of the word the settled and persistent will of the people. All this idea of a group of supermen and super-planners, such as we see before us, “playing the angel,†as the French call it, and making the masses of the people do what they think is good for them, without any check or correction, is a violation of democracy. Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time; but there is the broad feeling in our country that the people should rule, continuously rule, and that public opinion, expressed by all constitutional means, should shape, guide, and control the actions of Ministers who are their servants and not their masters."

17. Your last paragraph should be tattooed across the backside of every MP and they should be lined up and be made to read it. That way they would see each others best side and maybe learn something at the same time. I live in the very faint hope that one day our representatives will surprise me, and do something to abolish the whips system and vote according to the wishes of their employers and electors. For their information , employers and electors are the same people. I've just worked out that I have had the vote for almost 56 years , and I'm still not convinced that I have ever doen any good by using it.

18. chieftiff, are there any 'loony left' still resident in the house of ill repute?

19. This had me bemused... BBC News Report ...this is nothing new, yet it causes runctions! What's really worrying is that some MPs signed an EDM which indicates they are unaware of how their employees have been treated for decades. If they don't know what's going on under their noses is it reasonable for the electorate to expect them to know truth from falsehood? I suggest the problem is often not one of deliberate misinformation rather than genuine ignorance. Of course there will always been exceptions.

If an RN Banyan Party stands for election with the right programme, I'll vote for their local candidate! :biggrin:

20. chieftiff

Ah! Fink, now there's a question, what does a member of the loony left look like, I didn't suggest there was by the way I merely quoted RocketRon. However, if by loony left you mean someone who follows the Marxist ideal then I have no doubt there are a few, it doesn't do well to be seen as an extremist follower of political doctrine these days so who knows, here is an interesting article on just what it means to be either extreme left or right in British politics though: BBC magazine article