Mirror: "Senior Officers Face Axe In Latest Forces Redundancies"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Jun 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

At least it will make Norman a happy man :blob8:
  2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

It'll be interesting. Of the Captains I know quite a few who've submitted a request for redundancy and if they get it, its definitely our loss - real expertise and good leaders. Herein is the problem with redundancy, it tells you the organisation is in decline (not that we needed it to tell us that) and offers a cash inducement to leave, the smartest leap at the chance. I also know a bucket load more who weren't selectable and have decided its better to go now and forge a second career.

I could care less what some internet mong thinks, under this process we will lose the people and decent organisation would seek to keep.
  3. Its the same on Civvy St, those that are good and know it will opt for the package, as they know they are a marketable commodity. Those who aren't much cop (Yes I include Senior Officers) will ride the Gravy Train for as long as they can. Can only hope the whoever is passing round the "Brown Envelopes" has selected wisely.
  4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

From the Telegraph
    If they are waiting to start the Advanced Command and Staff Course, they may have a long wait. It ( and there is only one a year) starts in September, unless something has changed. If nothing has changed, someone may be making shit up.

If an officer has been selected for ACSC, it seems to me unlikely he or she will be made redundant. It isn't like getting binned from BSSC at the last moment. Still, stranger, more wasteful things have happened.
  5. article-2156474-1381C90E000005DC-298_634x402.jpg Cutbacks all round, look what the poor pongoes have to use now :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. wave_dodger

I know a few on ACSC and at least one had requested it. Still not heard from them.
  7. While it is sad that anyone is made compulsory redundant or volunteers for redundancy we have to be pragmatic about it.When thousands of non-commissioned bodies are going it makes no sense that commissioned personnel are kept on even if they are fine fellows who's expertise will be missed.If they have volunteered to go it is a sign that they have lost a degree of interest in the job and would be less committed.Of the ones that remain after the redundancy phase I find it hard to believe that there will be none of sufficient capability to keep what is left of the armed forces running as well as can be expected.
  8. wave_dodger

Of the ones that remain after the redundancy phase I find it hard to believe that there will be none of sufficient capability to keep what is left of the armed forces running as well as can be expected.[/QUOTE]
    Well theres an interesting point, do you want the "safe pair of hands" option, the people who will keep things ticking over, or would you rather have the people who have vision, drive and ability to shape, influence and make the RN change in order to be better? Given the climes we find ourself in I don't see our position changing for another 10-15 years, I 'd rather we had some people at the helm who were more than just willing caretakers.
  9. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I can conceive of those completing ACSC being binned but not those who turn up at Shrivenham (Telegraph's inference) two months before a 10 month course starts.
    Some oppos bailed out after completing the Intermediate Command and Staff Course Maritime. Those with the confidence and courage to leave, will, pay off or none.

Is the Naval Service in crisis? If it is the alarm bells aren't loud enough.
  10. The other way of looking at it is those that applied for redundancy may know they're not going any further and may as well go with a nice redundancy package rather than tread water for however many years they've got left and leaving with a pussers pension (which they'll get anyway).
  11. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I know at least one OF5 who got it today and who was cracking open the champagne. He realised he would be able to use the payoff to clear his mortgage, and the immediate pension meant he'd never have to work again if he didnt want to.
    We've just lost another really good guy because we didnt have the moral courage to forcibly select the poor ones to go instead.
  12. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

But bear in mind that there are plenty of 'good guys' who are excellent in their current rank but who are not necessarily going to make the next step, we've all met plenty of examamples. The redundancy selection process is designed to reduce the pool of talent by removing those who are not likely to progress thus making spaces for those coming up from behind. Those with obvious promotion potential would not be automatically selected. I would suggest that, judging by by his reaction, he might have known this and hence his delight at being given the chance to leave early with an appropriate financial bonus.
  13. wave_dodger

Sadly, I now know a few more RN redundees who are all excellent people, people who I trust and look up to and had hoped would help get us out of our current mess and they've chosen to opt for redundancy. So far I've not met any RN personnel who've been made compulsory redundant, a lot of RAF (quite Junior Officers as well as quite Senior, P_T 2nd floor!!) and Army though.

All the same apparent to desire to run away as the "lunatics are in charge of the asylum".

Hey ho, no point wishing I'd been in the frame in any way.....
  14. I know 5 of my ship that's been made redundant 2 were volunteers.

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. The company I worked for on leaving the mob decided it needed to make savings, the bean counters first stop is always the wage bill, the man at the top asked his yes men if we could lose staff, “yes” they said as one, so generous terms were offered to “reduce the headcount” shortly after, the company could not meet its commitments due to staff and skill shortage, a recruiting drive was quickly implemented but with all the good will in the world you can’t buy experience
  16. It may be in place but, I’m surprised that with all the corporate speak I read on here that there is no reference to managing people out of the Navy rather than what seems to be a names in a hat approach, six monthly, (more or less) performance reviews with targets set to reach a level of competence, in skill set or behavior, failure to reach that target meaning the beginning of the release process