Mirror: "A Submariner's Life Onboard The HMS Alliance"

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by soleil, Mar 31, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. submarine-main-3303033.jpg

The-Submarine-HMS-Alliance-3302695.jpg

Submarine-pix-3302693.jpg

Engine-Room-showing-William-Handyside-3302694.jpg

"Weeks spent underwater, wearing the same clothes and crushed in with dozens of other men. It sounds horrendous.

But, as he walks through the tunnels of HMS Alliance, the A-Class submarine he spent years of his life on, former Royal Navy submariner Bill Handyside says: “It was the best job I ever had.”

For the 86-year-old, it is emotional to see the results of a three-year, £7million refurbishment of the Alliance, the last Second World War-era submarine in Britain."

A submariner's life onboard the HMS Alliance and how it's time to be reunited - Mirror Online

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. Ah, journlism it it finest again....THE HMS Alliance!

Great to see her and the museum doing so well. If you are a sundodger and you have not been then you really should. If you are not a sundodger then you should go. It is a great place. I've been to the HUGE USN Submarine museum in New London, and our little hut kicks the poo out of it!

3. I think the first thing to correct is the title -
    [h=2]"A Submariner's Life Onboard HMS/M Alliance" is more appropriate. No, I never served on HMS/M Alliance but I did complete my Part III in HMS/M Andrew, so I guess I qualify to comment![/h]

4. In 1969 while being a valued member of SM2 Spare Crew I had the pleasure of a pier head jump onto Alliance for a little 4 weeker in the Iceland - Faroes gap. I had plenty of time to get the know the boat and if I ever return to see her it will only be out of curiosity as to how they've changed her into a tourist attraction.

5. Went on board several years ago, sat and had a feel of the foreplanes tapper bar, must admit it brought a lump to my trousers

6. You're easily pleased. It would have to be an all round look on the Search Scope roundabout for me.

7. Served on Alliance briefly in 69 ? then had a pier head jump to Aeneas. They were good boats, took my kids round in about 86, it was interesting but the guide was coming out with a load of utter crap. But he looked the part!

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Went up last week, they've done a job with Alliance. The Museum improves everytime I visit, would recommend it if you are in the area.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Nice one Sol

11. OMM

OMM War Hero

I was there last week as part of my course and it was very interesting to see and hear about it all from the guide who was a crew member back when it was in service.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)