Minewarfare — A Serious Gap

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Won't one of the problems be (if they ever work out the real requirement) how to intially man it then sustain it creating a 'career' stream with enough people to fill a training/employment pipeline.

I can sort of agree there seems to be a requirement what I can't see if how the RNR could fill it if even the RN are struggling to get CD/Divers. All the same company facing the same problems.
 

UXBDIVER

Badgeman
I don't know exactly how it works, but think it probably goes like this:

1. Identify the requirement.
2. Approve the Funding.
3. Create the Protocol.
4. Train the Personel.
5. Establish the Teams and response to the requirement.

Thats probably far too consice but still comes down to money unfortunately.

As for the requirement, you can probably envisage any senario its only a matter of time before it manifests itself. That said a pro-active approach is always better than a reactive one.

UXBD
 

beer_bosun

Lantern Swinger
wave_dodger said:
Won't one of the problems be (if they ever work out the real requirement) how to intially man it then sustain it creating a 'career' stream with enough people to fill a training/employment pipeline.

Yes I can see that without the drive and enthusiasm to see this through, it will fail. SPF came out of the old SEA branch which went through a few cycles before finally "getting" a role. It seems to have worked there despite putting a fair few noses out of joint along the way.

I can sort of agree there seems to be a requirement what I can't see if how the RNR could fill it if even the RN are struggling to get CD/Divers. All the same company facing the same problems.

Unsure here - I'm not a diver (well not in the diving branch anyway). I don't think it is suggested that the RNR is supposed to "replace" the RN in this role - there are various streams of diving. I think its more to do with checking out harbours before ships arrive - if something is found, then the CD deal with it - not sure if part of the "dive" team will include a CD for this purpose.

My hope is that the MW side of things gets REMUS responsibilites.
 

beer_bosun

Lantern Swinger
UXBDIVER said:
I don't know exactly how it works, but think it probably goes like this:

1. Identify the requirement.
2. Approve the Funding.
3. Create the Protocol.
4. Train the Personel.
5. Establish the Teams and response to the requirement.

Thats probably far too consice but still comes down to money unfortunately.

As for the requirement, you can probably envisage any senario its only a matter of time before it manifests itself. That said a pro-active approach is always better than a reactive one.

UXBD

Sounds about right - just hope the money is found to meet the requirements.
 

UXBDIVER

Badgeman
beer_bosun said:
wave_dodger said:
Won't one of the problems be (if they ever work out the real requirement) how to intially man it then sustain it creating a 'career' stream with enough people to fill a training/employment pipeline.

Yes I can see that without the drive and enthusiasm to see this through, it will fail. SPF came out of the old SEA branch which went through a few cycles before finally "getting" a role. It seems to have worked there despite putting a fair few noses out of joint along the way.

I can sort of agree there seems to be a requirement what I can't see if how the RNR could fill it if even the RN are struggling to get CD/Divers. All the same company facing the same problems.

Unsure here - I'm not a diver (well not in the diving branch anyway). I don't think it is suggested that the RNR is supposed to "replace" the RN in this role - there are various streams of diving. I think its more to do with checking out harbours before ships arrive - if something is found, then the CD deal with it - not sure if part of the "dive" team will include a CD for this purpose.

My hope is that the MW side of things gets REMUS responsibilites.


I think that was the idea when REMUS was first trialed.
MW lads manned a potable ops unit ie( chacon )full of vdus and other computer gear. I remember the fantastic images we got back from it when we dived on contacts it picked up in the Thames. Ideal in zero vis as it pretty much outlined the contacts so we didnt bother diving on tyres and the like.
That set up would be ideal for the RNR lads.

UXBD
 

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
UXBDIVER said:
I don't know exactly how it works, but think it probably goes like this:

1. Identify the requirement.
2. Approve the Funding.
3. Create the Protocol.
4. Train the Personel.
5. Establish the Teams and response to the requirement.

As for the requirement, you can probably envisage any scenario its only a matter of time before it manifests itself. That said a pro-active approach is always better than a reactive one.
UXBD

I agree, I was thinking along the lines of manpower. There are 2 "new" requirements that I am aware of currently (not including this) both make absolute sense and have been endorsed but both need about 250+ people from all ranks/rates. The problem is you can't just have that, you need to recruit, train and develop it to get to the point at which "it/they" have the experiences/skills and capabilities to meet the requirement, all of which takes a long time.

Harking back to the "the RN is shit thread"..When you look at issues like these we were scuppered 15-20 years ago. Sod all point blaming todays 1*-3* they've just inherited a mess to try and patch together.
 

UXBDIVER

Badgeman
Are these 2 RNR requirements?
I suppose if they are, its feasable to persue them as you would be less likely to care what direction or capacity you would be employed as an RNR serviceman as your time commitment would be relatively small.
Is seems the processes and directive are in a state of flux. How else could you explain the apparent indescision regarding RNR divers roles.
I dont know what the No's requirement for RNR divers is but I cant see it being anywhere near 250.
If they cannot even secure a career path for 3 teams of 12, how will they cope with a much larger demand in other branches?

It also seems that once anyone 3* enters the playing field, he moves on before he can create any significant change or deal with the nightmare he has inherited from his predecessor.

UXBD
 

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Neither are specific to the RNR but both are related and could use RNR manpower although the idea is to grow a full-time RN capability with career paths. I'd like to say more but will probbaly get something quite close to me detached.....
 

UXBDIVER

Badgeman
Se la vie.
This is an any mouse forum unless you think youve disclosed too much so as to compromise your identity, in which case thanks for your input. :?:

UXBD
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top