Mine Clearance Divers, mirrors, etc.,

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
One thing that many potential Divers miss & fall foul of is the fitness assessment after completing Initial Naval Training at Raleigh.

The intake at Raleigh usually exceeds the number of places available during the corresponding MCD course, by quite a significant margin.

The pre-course fitness assessment, after completing Raleigh, may well only cream-off the top 50% to continue Diver training, without a significant holdover period. It is worth being aware of this - many are completely oblivious.

Kiwi33

Midshipman
Quick question for you Ninja, which I've been struggling to get a solid answer for, do you know if divers get any chance to put in any more phys in phase 1 at Raleigh ? Even like the odd run on the weekend/gym visit.

Really want to keep my phys levels high through basic but I'm assuming they'll keep us pretty busy.....

Drakey

War Hero
Divers are encouraged to do extra phys during phase 1. It is not always achievable as you will be kept very busy. If you are on top of everthing and have the "spare time" it is possilbe do to a bit of extra phys at weekends.

Hav5

Afternoon,

Been following this thread a lot and it was a great prep help. Recently passed my PDA so thought I could hopefully give something back.

If you have any questions in relation to the PDA etc then fire away and I will do my best to answer as best I can. I haven't yet completed a PRNC so any questions in relation to that I won't be able to answer till the end of next week.

divingduke

Hi,

I'm currently awaiting transfer approval before having my medical so I imagine I won't be looking at a PDA until winter.

My fitness is ok, I can fairly comfortably pass the PDA fitness test requirements so far but I imagine I won't be the fittest there on the day.

If you pass all the tests, do you get passed through, or will they generally only take for example the top scoring 50% successful at the PDA?

Boxer96

Hi,
I'm thinking of joining the service as a MCD, just a quick question

Does the diving course give me the qualifications and skills to continue my diving in civi life eg oil rigs or just general diving jobs?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The pre-course fitness assessment, after completing Raleigh, may well only cream-off the top 50% to continue Diver training, without a significant holdover period. It is worth being aware of this - many are completely oblivious.
If you pass all the tests, do you get passed through, or will they generally only take for example the top scoring 50% successful at the PDA?

To be honest, I doubt they have as much as a 50% pass rate on PDA for first time applicants, but all those passing the PDA will usually be allocated a join date the following term. That said it is not uncommon for as many as 50% those completing Initial Naval Training successfully follow this by subsequently failing to make the cut for the next available course due to a poor performance on the pre-course assessment and finding themselves on holdover for the next course whilst they bring their phys up to the required level.

Hi,
I'm thinking of joining the service as a MCD, just a quick question

Does the diving course give me the qualifications and skills to continue my diving in civi life eg oil rigs or just general diving jobs?
You'll need to qualify as a commercial diver at your own expense after serving as an MCD. Most people who have undertaken this course consider it worth the initial expense as it is soon recovered.

Hopefully @Spidiver or another of the Divers that frequent the site can give a more accurate picture - I tend to advise those joining rather than leaving.

Hav5

So when I went down to DDS there was meant to be a total of 12 on the PDA. Because of no shows there was actually only 9 there. Of that 9, 6 of us passed the PDA. We had a pretty successful course as 100% passed the DPFT. Throughout the couple of days, we slowly began to lose people who just weren't fit enough or just didn't have it in them.

What I will say is that the DPFT is the easiest thing you will do all course. You need to be super super comfortable with everything in the DPFT because it only gets harder. If you're going down there not being able to complete the run (in AT LEAST 10 MINUTES, the guys who did it between 10 - 10:30 may have passed but eventually dropped out over the course of the next few days), pull ups, sit ups and dips then I would defer your place because you will just be wasting yours and the instructors time.

That being said, in answer to your question, I don't believe there is a set percentage of people that they pass and fail. If you go down there with the right level of fitness and the correct attitude, then you are going to pass. The people who have failed to prepare WILL stand out and they WILL fail.