Mine Clearance Divers, mirrors, etc.,

turneround90

Midshipman
Yeah I passed first time. I think the fact that me having to do my security clearance still might of played a part in it. Have you got a date ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

apipanippa

Midshipman
No, just waiting for my PDA in October but I Hope my wait isn't as long. My AFCO told me that if I aced the PDA I could be starting 1-2 months after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Devil

Midshipman
I got told the same, looking at a couple of months max after passing PDA. I hope this is true! Another 9 months after passing PDA seems abit of a p*** take.

turneround90

Midshipman
Yeah passed last week mate. It went well to be fair, really enjoyed it. Just make sure you can comfortably meet all the requirements (run, dips, chin ups, weight carry) mentioned on the website before you go. This is the first thing you do when you arrive and is the minimum standard required to go on and take part in the PDA (gets much harder from then on). Otherwise you'll find yourself on the first train home before you've even introduced your name. The staff down there are a good laugh and very informative, don't give up, give 100% and make sure you keep your ears peeled for the word "Awkward"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OTH21

Hi all, I'm currently in another branch of the military.

I'm looking at the possibilities of transferring to the RN as an MCD - something I have looked into before but hadn't done enough reckonable service. Anyway before I begin the transfer process with my chain of command I want to be able to gather as much information about the Job role of an MCD including day to day life etc. The phys side of it should be fine my last Fitness test was 9:06 mile 1/2, 92 press ups and 88 sit ups.

Main reasons for wanting to transfer are: Bored of my current job role - I don't feel I get anything out of it and it isn't particularly challenging to keep me interested, very limited posting opportunities and very low manpower which makes getting posted a massive challenge. 'Phys' is currently relatively easy - something that also gets boring. So the short of it is that I want a role that is challenging in every aspect - something that MCD definitely looks like it could deliver.

If anyone would be able to give me any information via PM or the forum on any of the following; Day to day life of an MCD, life on ship (including secondary tasks, living conditions etc) postings and deployment opportunities, and any other information that you may think could help. ( I know there is a lot of info on here about MCD, I have read through it but just want to make sure that the argument I present to my CoC is up to date)

Kiwi33

Midshipman
Read a lot of comments on here regarding phys and what sort of stuff is involved with PEDA.

I recently passed my PEDA in September and have my start date of May. I don't know if you can speed up your process of joining by smashing your PEDA but I wouldn't leave it to chance. During my peda I got food poisoning (my own fault) on the first night and it made my 3 days absolute hell. I threw up twice during my timed run but passed it. I dragged my body through it and literally ate nothing for 3 days. I think I only manged a plate of rice and a couple bowls of cereal in the 3 days. The only reason i got through was because of my phys prep before hand. I was by no stretch the fittest there but it was the only reason i stayed. The Training team regularly reminded me i could be pulled off at any point because i was unwell.

Come the 3rd day i began to love it once i began to feel better. My main tips i took away from it would be:

Run loads + and a bit more
Swim loads + and a bit more
And enjoy it

Looking back on it now I loved every second of my PEDA and cant wait to start course, if you get to the end of it you'll realise if you really want to follow a career as a MCD.

This may help nobody but let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

kayaker91

That's good to read! I passed medical and also my pjft. Didn't do as well as I wanted but happy with a pass. Just waiting on my PDA date now however can already reach the minimum reqs so pretty psyched to better them.

Kiwi33

Midshipman
I don't know if you can speed up your process of joining by smashing your PEDA but I wouldn't leave it to chance.

Like i said in my post mate I have no idea on the length of time given after your PEDA or if by smashing it you can speed it up. But what i was told a number of times (I hope this is right), is that your basic training will line up with your course start date for Phase 2. That is most likely the reason for having to wait a while after my PEDA for my start date. Then again I could be wrong.

What i would say is that I was by no way the unfittest when doing the course, I regularly came in 2nd or 3rd each time.

It terms of swimming, get in your local pool, and just do lengths upon lengths on your back kicking with straight legs. Its completely different in a dry bag with fins, but you'll get us to that weird sensation of your legs about to fall off or cramp up completely.

Also work hard on running, you run everywhere during your PEDA and I mean everywhere so get us to that. Buy decent shoes and work hard on getting some quality running in. Join a running club and get us to running at a high intensity for long periods of time. Plus little things like running to and from the pool and the gym, all these things will help. If you dont have the mind set to be working absolutely flat out all of the time I would consider working on changing that quick. Its f**king brilliant but its hard.