Mine Clearance Divers - Change in eyesight standards

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The current recruiting Visual Acuity (VA) standard for divers is set at VA2 yet the employment standard defines a higher in-Service standard (although not quite VA1).

This higher standard is required as diving masks are not allocated to individuals and therefore corrective lenses in the mask are not an option.

Visual Acuity Standards for Service Divers

The minimum visual acuity standards for service diver are:

a. Visual Acuity (Uncorrected): 6/36, 6/36, 6/24 combined

b. Visual Acuity (Corrected): 6/6, 6/9

If in doubt - contact your AFCO now. This change applies to all MCDs yet to join the Naval service - Even if you have passed PDA and have been allocated an entry date.
  2. NS I would have thought you of all people would have know all that potential/current/former MCDs are super human, therefore making this post irrelevant really. ;-P

Besides you can't get mirrors with corrective lenses built in, can you?
  3. Ninja_Stoker

I believe it's all to do with MCD's requiring HD vision to appreciate their own dashing good looks in their looking glass.

The problem with magnifying mirrors is they make one's head look huge, I'm told.
  4. Being a potential super human with VA1 mince pies (L:6/5 R:6/6 uncorrected) will I now be sent off to boots to have a retest because of the standards change or will life carry on until my next medical?
  5. Ninja_Stoker

If your mince pies are within the above standards according to your prescription, you should be OK - if in doubt call your AFCO who will refer your query to the appropriate medical authority for verification.

Incidentally AFCO Staff, it is stressed, aren't trained to advise the medical standards for entry, so don't take my word for it. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. That took a full 30 minutes TT. Come on lads you're slacking
  7. 2Hrs 30, N-S PM'd me well before he posted, knowing full well I hover online persistantly, chomping at the bit waiting to comment, and need more time to "keep up". He's nice like that, only to us underlings (bone bootnecks) mind you.....^^
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

To be fair, I usually type any announcements of this nature slowly for the hard of reading.
  9. What'd he say?
  10. Something about how he loves pigeons.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Just between ten and quarter past, Shippers.

Turn your hearing aid on, I said, TURN YOUR HEARING AID ON.

You stay in your bath-chair, I'll call the nurse.
  12. They must have changed the water they dive in ....fecking laser enhanced eyesight won't help feck all in 2 basin or any of the other crap holes pusser used to invite me to dive in.

(Actually I've a whole book of fantastic places the soft feckers sent me...but yer get my drift)
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Ninja_Stoker

One cannot help but agree - the average Diver can expect zero visibility when diving operationally, so this outwardly seems a peculiar change unless we're only going recreational diving in Sharm el Sheikh in future.

To develop a truly unique eyesight standard rather than simply saying - "OK, VA1 in future" is beyond comprehension, but doubtless it all makes sense somewhere - just not planet Earth.
    • Like Like x 1