Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Mine clearance diver

Lanky06

How long currently is the waiting list for this job? What is the likely hood of myself getting in if iv never dived before. I am a good swimmer though and physically fit.

Next PDA with vacancies is Oct 14. Those passing this course could realistically expect a Jan 2015 entry. To get on this course, you need to be sitting the recruiting test now.

If you intend spending the next 18+ years as a Diver, whilst previous experience is not deemed essential, it may be prudent to at least try a BSAC/PADI taster - otherwise you may find you don't like it. It's a bit like saying you want to be a mechanic but don't want to get your hands dirty otherwise.

Good luck, preparation is key.

Ive known very good swimmers who couldnt handle scuba. Had one on the PADI course I did years ago . He freaked out and went home. Another in Malta on a resort dive the dive center were doing whilst I was doing rescue diver, did fine in the pool, totaly lost it in the open water. As Ninja says go and try it .

Iv also been in the army for 2 years (here comes the abuse) but wont to transfer across to RN diver. I felt like I made the wrong carer choice for a while now and would love to do this job. Would my situation make it difficult to do this?

Iv also been in the army for 2 years (here comes the abuse) but wont to transfer across to RN diver. I felt like I made the wrong carer choice for a while now and would love to do this job. Would my situation make it difficult to do this?
Generally, I'd guess the Army will want you to complete your Return of Service before you can quit/transfer. Contractually I guess that's about 4 years service total.

No abuse mate armed forces /respect even if you are a pongo :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

Ive known very good swimmers who couldnt handle scuba. Had one on the PADI course I did years ago . He freaked out and went home. Another in Malta on a resort dive the dive center were doing whilst I was doing rescue diver, did fine in the pool, totaly lost it in the open water. As Ninja says go and try it .

I have been a diving instructor for many ears - my last draft in Pusser as teaching diving at the JSATC in Belize - a tuly tough job, but somebody had to do it!

Anyway, the only person I could not get to go under the water was a mahoosive Booty. His brain just would not let him put his face in the water and breath. He got very angry - 'It's alright mate, I'm not angry with you, I'm angry with myself!' Phew!!

So, it just goes to show - to the OP, go for a try dive - NOWish and in the UK where it will be cold, zero vis and generally not a lot of fun. In fact I'd go further and tell the dive centre you choose that you WANT crap vis and a leaky dry bag - seriously!

If you are not phased by that, then do a proper course, but keep quiet about it as the CDs are notoriously unkind about/to 'scooby dos'.

Hi all.

I am currently waiting to hear from the INM on my asthma review date (had asthma at a young age, they need to see if I have still show any of the signs). Does anyone know when these tests are next available or any upcoming PEDA dates?

Thanks in advance!

Next PEDA I was booked onto was January and I was booked onto this a good 3months ago... Was told they could put me on a shortlist and if and they had any dropouts I could attend a closer one with dates in July and September but with only 10 days notice, however decided to go to Cyprus for the summer instead of being on a shortlist and stuck with the Jan one. So I guess you could be given similar or later dates than Jan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest Threads