Mine Clearance Diver Medical ?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by MCD101, Apr 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Helloo, I have recently been told the next step in my application is to attend a diving medical in Northwich. So what exactly happens during the medical ? (all I have been told is a blood test, general health check and a monitored treadmill run) also any information on the next steps in my application process would be great.

2. Also is there a weight requirement for a mine clearance diver ? As I read there was for other positions within the RN
    Thanks again
  3. There is no weight guideline. I am 17st and never failed a medical or fitness test. My mate is 22st and same again never failed. That said he built like a brick shithouse. Prob best if angrydoc answers this one. Don't sweat on the medical. Apart from keeping your general fizz up there is nothing you can really do. Just relax and let the medic get on with it.

4. Brace, brace.......
  5. Why are both your hands on my shoulders!!!!!
  6. 'Cos I'm just about to do an Eric Morcambe face slap!

Boom, boom!
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Pending a definitive reply from a medical expert, the Diver pre-entry medical differs from the standard RN/RM pre entry medical in the two additional areas already identified by the OP (blood & exercise).

It's worth bearing in mind the standards for entry differ to the standards whilst serving & on the issue of weight, the BMI scale applies. It's appreciated the BMI scale has many dissenters however or those yet to join, it's the standard applied, so get over it if you want to join.

The medical consists of a check of your previous medical history & a run-through the medical questionnaire together with:

Hearing Test
    Colour Perception Test
    Blood Pressure
    Urine test
    Mobility of joints

A handful maybe placed Temporarily Medically Unfit pending the gathering of more information regarding a condition termed significant. If needs be certain individuals are sent to see a service consultant for a definite way forward.

You will also undergo a dynamic musculoskeletal assessment. which includes couple of press-ups, gait - walking on your toes, walking on the heels, walking on outsides of your feet, "duck walking" (5 or so steps squatting flexed at knees, hips & ankles), heel raises - 5 on each leg, with other leg raised & the Beighton test for hypermobility (a score of 4 or more may mean further tests).

Basic guidance notes are here: Medical Standards for Entry - Guidance notes

8. I also did the old school "Harvard Step Test" for my medical.

9. Still do it now.
  10. Ninja has given all the info you need.

Regarding the BMI, there are many dissenters. The main criticism is that muscle is heavier than fat so if you are well built the BMI will suggest you are obese. Whilst this is true, our use of the BMI isn't an anti-fat person thing only. Whether your 17 stone is all muscle or all fat is irrelevant to your knees and hips - it is still 17 stone. Your risk of developing knee and hip problems in your 30s is therefore higher than if you were a "normal" weight (ie BMI 20-25). Look how many rugby players have knee problems in their 30s - we don't want to recruit and train someone for only 10 years of service. This is why we still use the BMI, although we also have a proviso of using a different scale at our discretion.

As frogman has said, you cannot prepare for a medical. You will either pass or fail. So worry about something else!

11. When are they going to bin the BMI? Wasn't it concepted in the early 19th century? A big fat civvy doc (ex matelot) in Nelson once criticised my weight and so I asked him if he would like to grab his trainers and come for a run? I was running the London marathon at the time and completed it in four hours weighing 17st. He declined my offer and signed me off for another year.

If BMI were to be followed the likes of James Haskell and Richie Mcaw would be morbidly obese! Can honestly say that at 40 and having played in the pack for 30 years I luckily do not suffer from knee or hip problems.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  12. I'd have thought my post gives justification for using the BMI, not scrapping it. As far as I am aware, there are no plans to scrap it.
  13. Yep, the Doc wins...... knees were not designed to carry 20 stone of weight, be it fat or muscle..or a bergen with 200 rounds of link in the bastard.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. You saying that Naval docs only see it in black and white Spidiver????
  15. Yes, I only did my medical late 2011, dont want to give the impression I am in yet!