Mine Clearance Diver Hours?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BlueFin, Jan 22, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I've been looking into applying as a MCD. I am just trying to get as much information on the job as I can before I go through with the application. This forum has given a lot of useful information for me but I can't find anything (maybe in the wrong section) about the working hours? How long are the days? Will i be based away from home for days/weeks? What are the ratio of days on/days off? I know these all might vary in some way but it would be great to know from people in the job and what it is like, be it long days and working away from family?

Any information would be great thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. It's not like Civvy diving mate. You could get a sea deployment lasting months at a time, or you could get a shore draft were you can only go home at the weekends. If you don't live near a navy base with a diving unit you won't be going home every night

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

3. Thanks for the quick reply, that helps fill in the blanks! I'm in my early 20s so being away from home isn't the end of the world I suppose!

4. Divers work 9-3 every day Monday to Thursday and till 12 on a Friday. Apart from when we are at war - they have to work till half five then. Get paid time and a half for the extra hours in wartime and double time for weekend work.

5. Thanks Jack, sounds like really fair working hours!

6. Bluefin, there are some naughty people playing in here. No doubt a real CD will be along in a minute, but in the RN you are employed 24 hours a day and operate to the exingencies of the Service.

Think about it - you are on a bomb call - a big bomb. Do you think that you'll just stop when your 'working day' is over?

Having said that, there will be times when you are 'working' a 'normal' day -though there will be plenty when you are not!

7. No, he is just being an arse.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Love you too Rach!

9. Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  10. And here I was being all naive haha, thanks

11. Cheers that's very helpful

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  13. Last time I looked, a day was 24 hours long for CDs. As it is now a long time since I paid CDs, I don't know about their working hours except that in those days they spent less time diving than diving.

14. I don't understand that at all. Is it just me?

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Nope, I thought it was just me, too.

16. Is the second 'diving' meant to be perhaps 'driving', because the ones based in the UK travel distances to deal with various dangerous items?

• Like Like x 1
  17. It's got me as well!

18. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yep, 'tis utter bollox in my mind.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

19. It's obvious you lot have got the wrong crypto in....it reads

"I wish I was a diver, they are divs and work hard without complaint..they are excellent !!!!"

• Like Like x 1
  20. I get it, but I've been dipping into NevDull's stash and I'm off my tits.

• Like Like x 2