Mine Clearance Diver - a few questions

dancoates

Badgeman
Passed my interview last month. So im deemed good to go ;). Now just which path to take really!
I know ive missed raleigh for this year cos my mates just got his date. 1st sept

It's never a failure. It's always a lesson

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
There are multiple intakes at Raleigh for many branches, it's just the smaller branches that may only have one or two a year. ET WE is a wait from test to entry of just over a year, if you've scored high enough, depending how many are already in the queue ahead of you, when you switch branch. ET WESM is under six months wait, ET ME about the halfway between the two.

Rachelthree

War Hero
That's an attempt at a bite - yes?

Maybe he just don't know he is a recruiter. Makes me sick that some people don't have to wait very long haha, maybe i should have pretended i loved engineering. Dan eye patches are for absolute winners, we are part of an elite and super cool club :D

Jlwilde

Midshipman
Hi guys, this is for the qualified divers, I'm in the process of my transfer to the branch, just had my medical and I got H3 on hearing in my left.

I'm a diver with the engineers and this came up two years ago with my medical, I was seen by INM and I was given the all clear to carry on diving.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have got H3 hearing and still diving? And if so would you assume it would still be the same for me as this is classed as my entry/diving medical for the navy.

I've also provided the Doctor with the letter from INM giving me the green light to carry on, just in case

Cheers for any help!!

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi guys, this is for the qualified divers, I'm in the process of my transfer to the branch, just had my medical and I got H3 on hearing in my left.
I'm a diver with the engineers and this came up two years ago with my medical, I was seen by INM and I was given the all clear to carry on diving.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have got H3 hearing and still diving? And if so would you assume it would still be the same for me as this is classed as my entry/diving medical for the navy.

I've also provided the Doctor with the letter from INM giving me the green light to carry on, just in case

Cheers for any help!!
As you'll be aware RN Diver is H2 both, unfortunately.

The odds are, the Royal Engineers may have accepted wider hearing parameters due to the fact you were already serving in the Army.

The RN medical examiner will, if needs be, refer your case to the Senior Medical Officer, Service Entries - SMO(SE), but the standards for entry, be they direct entry or transfer from another service are absolute. I've not heard of a waiver for service transfers and, at risk of being pessimistic, would suggest that if one were to be granted, then anyone knocked back for direct entry in any branch of the RN/RM, would have grounds for appeal if the precedent were set. What you are effectively trying to achieve is a change in medical standards for entry and they simply aren't up for negotiation.

The medical standards for entry can differ from those already serving in the RN because we wouldn't necessarily discharge a trained rank who we could reasonably continue to employ. That said, as this will not result in discharge from the armed forces, merely block a transfer, given that you would also be diving to greater depths it could also be an issue. I would not build your hopes of being able to transfer, even if there is a serving CD with H3 hearing, it would not be accepted as grounds for appeal.

Hopefully, you'll prove me wrong and I'd be delighted if you do, but I suspect not. Good luck.

Jlwilde

Midshipman
Ok, thanks for your help ninja really appreciate it. Fingers crossed I should find out Monday or Tuesday but as you have said I'm not getting my hopes up!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Latest Threads