Mine Clearance Diver - a few questions

dancoates

Badgeman
Hi,

Just wanted to ask a few questions - passed my medical, eye test, fitness test and formal interview. Just waiting for a date to do my PDA (which could be as late as February!)

1. I have a stammer. I asked my AFCO and doctor at the medical if they thought this would be a problem, they both said no. I would just like some reassurance from someone who doesn't know me if this is true! Would this be a problem?

2. I have absolutely no experience in diving at all! It obviously doesn't matter otherwise I would never of got this far! But I would just like to know to you get a run through everything and do you think its a good idea to book some diving lessons prior to Collingwood and my PDA.

Thats all I can think of although I know I have alot of questions, thanks for your replies in advance. I'll be back!

Last edited:

SWS Fag

Lantern Swinger
Not a diver so can't comment on that. But I know someone who has a stammer and it hasn't held him back in the RN. Can't promise you won't get certain people taking the piss though, but as they say " if you can't take the shit don't draw the kit"

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Liquidity

Badgeman
Don't get your hopes up for a Feb PDA too... I was given my date on Thurs and am in for May - so you will probably be about the same...

As for the diving experience, I am also going in with virtually none, although I am doing my Open water at the moment.

But all in all chin up, you will be fine :) And maybe I will see you in May

dancoates

Badgeman
Took all of this on board - cant find a way to disable the account! May just dispose of post and make a new account. Hopefully I do see you in May, my AFCO said october or feb, but May gives me more time to perfect my fitness! May see you. (No pun intended)

Last edited:

Liquidity

Badgeman
Haha well if you get an earlier one, feel free to trade :D although I am not sure how well that will swing with those in charge. But good luck all the same... what was your run time?

dancoates

Badgeman
My run time was 10:16. Didn't push myself just done it within the time limit. Although my AFCO phoned me an hour later and I was confused to him saying I cut it sharp when I thought I done it quite comfortably! Yours? Also how old are you? im 20.

Liquidity

Badgeman
Got 9:40... Was also taking it relatively easy as I had been really ill that week. But yeah - its not major for this one to push - you just need to pass. For the real test they will fail you if you don't do max effort from what I have been told.

I'm 24 - going to be 25 now by the time I start. A little older than I would like :(. But sure you will be fine re fitness once it comes around - to be honest it is the run I struggle most with - but there is now plenty time to train (even if you do get the Oct course)

dancoates

Badgeman
If I am honest I am hoping for Feb. Oct is a little too early and want to get my fitness up! Same with me, running is something I have never been able to do, whereas I have very good upper body strength! Would they fail me if I didnt quite do the 12min run and then 10min run? like say I do 12 min and half of the 10. Like I say running really isn't my strongest point

Liquidity

Badgeman
One of the qualified divers will jump on board to tell you the full story, but from what I understand, we run 1.5mi in 15 mins as a group, and then best effort on the second (you have to complete it, within 10min15). Start training on the road now - avoid a treadmill at all costs if you can. You will be fine. Get help if you need it - rather that then fail when you have time to sort it woul

I was hoping for October - they could not get me earlier than May. But you may be lucky (excuse the pun on that one...).

dancoates

Badgeman
I was told by my AFCO there is only a PDA every 4 month, dont know how much truth there is in that. seems legit. October - Feb - May. Yeah I need to find a good running track around the streets, legs are like toothpicks compared to my body! Anyways im off down the gym, sure I will see you around this forum more often than not with my curious mind! Nice meeting you.

I was dogshit at running, got myself a decent pair of trainers and started doing 5 mile runs every night, managed to get my run time down from 12 mins to 9.20, also, if you can, try and join a boxing club, it worked a treat to get my fitness up, started alternating between swimming and running now so i don't **** my ankles before my PDA in Oct