Min Of Defence Staff Mislead

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Nutty, Feb 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Read the article by Matthew Parris in todays Times where he is unhappy with MOD staff in particular. As he was seen in Portsmouth Dockyard in the past few days perhaps we will get some good facts concerning that establishment soon.

MOD LIES?

2. I don't know much about the way in which the legal system works when it comes to matters of coroners investigations, however I suspect that any coroner would call upon all involved parties to provide all related materials / information for review.

That the tape existed and was not included is bad enough, but surely it should have been included on some sort of list of items which could not be given up for "reasons of national security", even if it wasn't our own national security. That it wasn't must surely be a crime of some sort - withholding evidence or something so I agree with Mr Parris when he suggests that the person responsible should be asked to explain their decision and I don’t mean hiding behind the statement that the US asked us not to.

I wonder if the US would have done us the same favour if the circumstances were reversed? Probably not, but then since we're not in the habit of causing friendly fire incidents ....

They seem to forget the continued anguish and psychological effects that prolonging the investigation out is having on LCpl Hull's family.

SF

3. I agree Silver-Fox. Alot has been said about the mistakes made during the actual incident and alot of 'this happens in war' type of conversation. The real issue for me personally is that the MoD told LCpl Hull's widow (and family) that a tape never existed in the first place. 4 years on not only is there a tape (which obviously was suppressed-national security or not), but it has been broadcast internationally for everyone to see (rightly). The emotional re-coil for LCpl Hull's widow must be staggering. She is a brave woman and wife of a brave soldier, who has been steadfast in trying to get to the truth and has done it with grace. It's a shame the same cannot be said for UK/US authorities. I see the air squadron involved have apologised to LCpl Hull's family this morning. Pity it has taken even more heartache for the family for that to happen.

4. Capt Blair as the skipper of HMG is responsible for the acts and behaviour of every single person employed by such HMG whether they be politicians or civil servants within for exmaple the MOD.

For the last couple of weeks whilst he has squirmed his way through the cash for honours crisis..he has stated quite clearly on a number of occasions that his pride and drive was as a result of serving the British people...Well Tony little hint in order to serve us..you and your cronies have to start with one little thing...HONESTY!!

Matty Hulls relatives and family ARE the British public that you say that you cherish and hold so dear.....sort it out or get out!

5. The only excuse I can see for the MOD denying the tape existed was that the US DOD said it's existance was classified too.

Of course if that is the case then the only reason I can see for making the existance of the tape classified is that it was an attempt to cover up, and if some one is trying to cover something up then they have an element of guilt.

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Oh, pass the buck? That's alright then. Now, where have I heard that before..? :shock:

7. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I don't know if someone lied about this, I'd like to think not to be honest but it's not beyond reason. My own experience of the MOD Civil Service is that there is a lot of left hand v right hand stuff going on. Too many people not communicating or in fact not doing anything which even remotely deviates from their exact TOR's, it infuriates me sometimes and we are supposed to be on the same side. A couple of weeks ago I phoned the same phone in the same office and got two completely different answers to the same bloody question from two guys supposed to be working on the same issue! The worse thing is they are both good blokes both doing a good job, they just don't seem to understand the word team, too much I I am convinced it's something to do with their pay and promotion system, neither wants the other to appear good at his job!!!!!! It wasn't an important issue by any stretch of the imagination however I ended up wasting a lot of time on something which could honestly have been resolved in about 10 seconds....bloody infuriating!!!!!!!! rant over!!!!!!