Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Mills' Dancing appearance infuriates the disabled

Should disabled athletes automatically get a blue badge?

• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • dont give a toss

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
From these comments it's quite clear that the badges (and such) are not being awarded to the right people.

Can anyone tell me what the process is to be awarded these sort of things?

Blue badges are currently exchanging hands for around £1500 to £2000 each in London.Thefts of badges has increased.Islington Council estimates that as many as 400 extra blue badges appear on the streets when Arsenal are at home.A third of Britain's two million disabled car badges are being used fraudulently - by able-bodied people wanting preferential car parking spaces,according to new statistics from disability organisations, up to 700,000 motorists are wrongly using the badges.

andym said:
Blue badges are currently exchanging hands for around £1500 to £2000 each in London.Thefts of badges has increased.Islington Council estimates that as many as 400 extra blue badges appear on the streets when Arsenal are at home.A third of Britain's two million disabled car badges are being used fraudulently - by able-bodied people wanting preferential car parking spaces,according to new statistics from disability organisations, up to 700,000 motorists are wrongly using the badges.

Such a small number? I'd have thought over 60,000 fans would qualify... :twisted:

snapdragon said:
From these comments it's quite clear that the badges (and such) are not being awarded to the right people.

Can anyone tell me what the process is to be awarded these sort of things?

Able bodied people get preference, especially mothers who have chosen to have kids and believe it is their God given right to park in disabled ONLY parking bays!!! :evil: :mad: When you challenge the able-bodied you get replies like 'It's only for a minute!', 'I didn't know it's illegal', etc. Personally I think they should automatically have their legs chopped off above the knee and then see how they feel about the able-bodied nicking parking places!

slim said:
Tesco in Plymouth used to clamp vehicles parked illegally in disabled spaces. that was in 1991 though so I bet its all changed now.

The "Parent and Child" parking spaces in Plymouth (Roborough) Tesco's is obviously only to be used by old cnuts who can't be arsed to walk across the effing road. Same for the disabled spaces. These old sods think that if they park where they blatantly shouldn't, and limp a bit into Tesco's (then run up the slope to the cafe) then its OK. ******* :twisted:

Lamri said:
slim said:
Tesco in Plymouth used to clamp vehicles parked illegally in disabled spaces. that was in 1991 though so I bet its all changed now.

The "Parent and Child" parking spaces in Plymouth (Roborough) Tesco's is obviously only to be used by old cnuts who can't be arsed to walk across the effing road. Same for the disabled spaces. These old sods think that if they park where they blatantly shouldn't, and limp a bit into Tesco's (then run up the slope to the cafe) then its OK. ******* :twisted:

And apart from everyone in RR, what have you done about it..?! The security guards aren't just there at the door to check out the schoolgirls nicking the sweeties... :roll:

As provision for the disabled is down to local councils and health boards you get all the same problems as withpostcode prescribing. When my mother was alive the local coucil were quite good, but Blue Badges were not handed out unless you could demonstrate the need, and the coucil traffic wardens would ticket you even if they were on display if they were not displayedcorrectly (yes there is a correct and an incorrect way of displaying them)

Store disabled bay 'policing' is terrible, in the US such spaces are legally enforced with quite stiff fines and you never see them abused.

Always_a_Civvy said:
2badge_mango said:
I was "issued" with a blue badge after my TME for bowel cancer. I explained that I do not own a car, have never driven, and was continuing to cycle to hospital for my 24 chemotherapy sessions, but that didn't seem to matter. After 3 years I received a letter from the council inviting me to renew it. Obviously, I declined. The Radar key for disabled toilets comes in handy sometimes though, if I'm caught short!

2BM

I bought my Radar key - it was less hassle! Despite the fact that I have been wearing incontinence pads for longer than I care to remember, in Bromley getting a Radar key does not automatically proceed from being diagnosed incontinent and awarded free pads! :sad: It's easier to get orange juice out of a pilchard! Also unfortunately the disabled toilets at Charing Cross station seem to be deliberately locked to keep customers out on occassions! :mad:

Yes! Me too Steve, my key cost me three quid I think, and I was wearing a stoma pouch for nearly a year after the main op. Yucky routine, used to be out on the road and wouldn't know whether that warm feeling was generated by enthusiastic cycling or a weak stoma seal. Was eternally grateful when the six months chemo had finished and I was taken in for the reversal op and reconnected to mains drainage. Still have to make plans around my reduced capabilities but, aside from that, live a reasonably normal life for a man in his seventies. Raises a few eyebrows sometimes when I go into a local tourist office and ask for the location of all the public and disabled toilets in their area!

Peter.

Latest Threads