Military swim test?

#1
Hey all,

During my time at the RNAC we conducted the military swim test. We were told that we could do any stroke and so I thought the back stroke would probably be the easiest. After treading water for two minutes I started the fifty meter swim and then got shouted at by the PO for doing backstroke. What the ****?

Are you allowed to do back stroke at Raleigh or not?

Thanks,

Jack!
 
#2
Jack! said:
Hey all,

During my time at the RNAC we conducted the military swim test. We were told that we could do any stroke and so I thought the back stroke would probably be the easiest. After treading water for two minutes I started the fifty meter swim and then got shouted at by the PO for doing backstroke. What the *?

Are you allowed to do back stroke at Raleigh or not?

Thanks,

Jack!
The basic rule of thumb is "Do what your told". They're the staff - your the student.
 

Dicky

Lantern Swinger
#3
Good one newby....when I took mine yonks ago it was jump off the olympic diving board in overalls, swim 2 lengths of the pool and float for 18 minutes...that was it..no mention of what stroke you had to do....
 

Rookie-WWFC

Lantern Swinger
#4
on our RNAC we were allowed to do any stroke, whether this applies at raleigh im not sure. Interestingly they told my RNAC i failed my swim test even though i was the first out the pool and off the diving board. They confused me Sam Richards 18 6' 6" caucasian dude, with a Richard Dzindikwa 5' 6" ish 34 and from Zimbabwe, so I wouldn't worry too much, you'll get another chance same as me to do the test again at Raleigh.
 
#5
When I did the swimming test the back stroke wasn't allowed.

The reason they gave at the time was you had to see where you were swimming.
 

Spunky

Midshipman
#6
I was at Raleigh Oct - Dec 08, people did whatever stroke they wanted in my division.

Not saying thats the rule, but if our class could, others might be able to do the same.
 
#7
I just came back from my RNAC we got told we could do any stroke to get you there. But the idea is you get as far as you can in brest stroke, then when you feel you can't go on, turn on to your back as a last resort, so you don't drown. thats probably why your PT shouted at you cas he thought you werent putting max effort in before you gave out onto your back?????? but ofcourse i wasn't there so i didnt see. those PT's are scary dudes, they shouted at us constantly for no reason most of the time!!!!!
 

scottie

Lantern Swinger
#8
we were instructed to do breast stroke as far as we cud then back stroke the rest, use ur feet and legs to push as much as possible as ur arms will be restricted with the weight of the wet overalls
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
#10
Lee79 said:
When I did the swimming test the back stroke wasn't allowed.
Look, we all know that the basic maxim of military training is to teach you discipline. Do as you're told at Raleigh, don't use the backstroke and you'll pass your NE Swimming Test. If you really want to use backstroke, just be patient and wait a few months - when you do your Sea Survival Course at Horsea Island Lake, you'll be swimming on your back out to the life-raft, complete with once only suit and lifejacket. No-one ever said that military training had to make sense!
 
#11
I backstroked it during phase one, unless things have changed dramatically in the last few years I can't see it being any different.

Can't breaststroke with a lifejacket on!
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
#15
captainobvious said:
you can't breaststroke properly with an inflated lifejacket on hig, only way to swim with one on is to backstroke.
Primarily because the life jacket flips you on to your back (and you should also have the hood in place over your face which would also make swimming on your front difficult).
 
#17
captainobvious said:
you can't breaststroke properly with an inflated lifejacket on hig, only way to swim with one on is to backstroke.
I`m quite aware of that you fukcing ********. A life jacket in a swimming test? Or did you morons not understand the first post?
 

Rookie-WWFC

Lantern Swinger
#18
Indeed Hig it appears you are correct, I still reckon you could do breast stroke in a lifejacket though, you could scuba dive in one if you really wanted I just know you could. Hig you are my idol.
 
#19
Rookie-WWFC said:
Indeed Hig it appears you are correct, I still reckon you could do breast stroke in a lifejacket though, you could scuba dive in one if you really wanted I just know you could. Hig you are my idol.
Ha! Ha! keep your mits away from the Co2 release oppo :roll: on a May West!!!!!
 
#20
Rookie-WWFC said:
Indeed Hig it appears you are correct, I still reckon you could do breast stroke in a lifejacket though, you could scuba dive in one if you really wanted I just know you could. Hig you are my idol.
You had better believe it. 8O
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts