Military Pension Petition Response

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by yamyamdabber, Sep 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I signed this petition so long ago i cant remember,

"The military pension is a pension that has been earned over a sustained period in the service of HM The Queen. The Government is requested to remove all tax liability on that pension or at least remove it from being considered as income when establishing tax liability". Sounded good seen as it seems to be saying we shouldnt pay tax on our pensions.

I got this response to it today,

"The Government values very highly the professionalism and the work of our Armed Forces and is working to rebuild the military covenant, that vital contract between our Armed Forces, their families, and our country, which they sacrifice so much to protect.

Overall, the Armed Forces Pension Schemes remain a key part of the remuneration package for service personnel, and the schemes are widely recognised as being of a good quality, relative to other public and private sector schemes. For tax purposes, the Armed Forces Pension Schemes are treated in the same way as any other pension scheme. State and occupational pensions are treated as income and as such are taxable; pension income is taxed in a way that is consistent with other types of income. Age related personal allowances mean that those aged 65-74 do not pay tax unless their income is over £9,490 in 2010-11 (for those aged 75 and over, the allowance is £9,640).

As part of the wider remuneration package for the armed forces, the Government has always fully implemented the independent Armed Forces’ Pay Review Body (AFPRB) recommendations. Over recent years, the pay awards for the Armed Forces have been amongst the highest in the public sector. The package also includes the Operation Allowance, which is a tax free bonus and which was recently doubled to £5,281 for a six month tour in Afghanistan or Iraq. In addition, service personnel are eligible for Longer Separation Allowance (starting at £6. 69 per day) to compensate for time away from their permanent base and separation from their families."

My government language decoding abilities are limited but to me that translates as,

"We value you working for us but we pay you shit loads already, so if you have a drip, see a plumber"

Anybody think anything else???

2. yamyamdabber
    Got the same Shite also. Its more condecending, self-opionated Crap from all in Westminster. And we are supposed to love them for it - B*****ks.

3. Total agree with the above posts, and although I agree with all service personnel getting a decent pay, whats this statment got to do with us paying tax on our pension's?
    "Over recent years, the pay awards for the Armed Forces have been amongst the highest in the public sector. The package also includes the Operation Allowance, which is a tax free bonus and which was recently doubled to £5,281 for a six month tour in Afghanistan or Iraq. In addition, service personnel are eligible for Longer Separation Allowance (starting at £6. 69 per day) to compensate for time away from their permanent base and separation from their families."

4. Fully agree.

Why on earth, as an ex-serviceman, should I be treated the same as everyone else in the country? I'm so very special.

I think it's an absolute disgrace that my mortgage wasn't paid off, I wasn't given a gold watch and the Queen didn't snog me (with tongues).

I'm worth it because I'm so special.

Precious even.

Edit: There's no requirement for an apostrophe in a plural.

5. This is that bit that annoyed me, the above did not benefit us who are now drawing our pensions. And the operational allowance is only for the Gulf/Stan, even though as matelot's we spend a hell of a lot more time away operationally than the other services. Just because your not getting shot at, doesn't mean you are not on operations.