Military can be treated as or used as slaves - Official.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by NotmeChief, Jan 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I already think they are treated as slaves, they are certainly underpaid and the reclamation of half their pay by taxes, living in etc; just shows that to be true.

The Human Rights Act allows the military to be used as slaves:-

2. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

Hi NotmeChief

That is an interesting point but as a BAFF representative I contribute to a current Council of Europe working group* on the rights of members of the armed forces, so perhaps you will forgive me for supplying a boringly serious answer!

The exemption for service of a military character applies to Article 4(2) "forced or compulsory labour", but NOT to Article 4(1) "slavery or servitude", which is illegal under any circumstances.

There are other exemptions from 4(2) for work done in the course of lawful detention, for service exacted in an emergency, and for work which forms part of normal civic obligations. Rightly so, in my opinion.

* more info at - top item on that page.
  3. Hackle

Thanks for being boring.
  4. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

Welcome! :thumright:
  5. Interesting NMC, however the crucial difference between slavery and membership of the British armed forces is that one is voluntary and for a finite period whereas slavery has no time limit, no remuneration whatsoever, and the only exits are death or manumission (Roman law).