Military can be treated as or used as slaves - Official.

I already think they are treated as slaves, they are certainly underpaid and the reclamation of half their pay by taxes, living in etc; just shows that to be true.

The Human Rights Act allows the military to be used as slaves:-

Article 4

Prohibition of slavery and forced labour

1 No one shall be held in slavery or servitude.

2 No one shall be required to perform forced or compulsory labour.

3 For the purpose of this Article the term “forced or compulsory labour†shall not include:

(a) any work required to be done in the ordinary course of detention imposed according to the provisions of Article 5 of this Convention or during conditional release from such detention;

(b) any service of a military character or, in case of conscientious objectors in countries where they are recognised, service exacted instead of compulsory military service;

hackle

Lantern Swinger
NotmeChief said:
I already think they are treated as slaves, they are certainly underpaid and the reclamation of half their pay by taxes, living in etc; just shows that to be true.

The Human Rights Act allows the military to be used as slaves:-

Article 4

Prohibition of slavery and forced labour

1 No one shall be held in slavery or servitude.

2 No one shall be required to perform forced or compulsory labour.

3 For the purpose of this Article the term “forced or compulsory labour†shall not include:

(a) any work required to be done in the ordinary course of detention imposed according to the provisions of Article 5 of this Convention or during conditional release from such detention;

(b) any service of a military character or, in case of conscientious objectors in countries where they are recognised, service exacted instead of compulsory military service
Hi NotmeChief

That is an interesting point but as a BAFF representative I contribute to a current Council of Europe working group* on the rights of members of the armed forces, so perhaps you will forgive me for supplying a boringly serious answer!

The exemption for service of a military character applies to Article 4(2) "forced or compulsory labour", but NOT to Article 4(1) "slavery or servitude", which is illegal under any circumstances.

There are other exemptions from 4(2) for work done in the course of lawful detention, for service exacted in an emergency, and for work which forms part of normal civic obligations. Rightly so, in my opinion.

* more info at http://www.baff.org.uk/baff-in-the-news.htm - top item on that page.

Interesting NMC, however the crucial difference between slavery and membership of the British armed forces is that one is voluntary and for a finite period whereas slavery has no time limit, no remuneration whatsoever, and the only exits are death or manumission (Roman law).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Miscellaneous 0
C The Corps 6
finknottle Diamond Lil's 9