Military awards

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by caldee22, Dec 18, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently watching the military awards on ITV like i suspect many of you are. There is an officer receiving an award as she was a medic, however it stated on her introduction that she was an AET. Can AET's have a medic based role?

2. OC Michelle Ping MC is a paramedic 'in real life'. She was an AET(R), and now seems to be an Officer Cadet.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

It does sound odd. I know she's a paramedic in her civvy career; I assume then she was an AET, left joined the Air Branch and was then mobilised to HERRICK but what as, we don't recognise civvy paramedic quals?

Has she now joined the RN I wonder or is commissioning in the MR? Either way brave girl.

4. I agree very brave girl, was just a little confused over how it worked.

5. wave_dodger

I suspect, because of her Paramedic quals a decision was made to let her mobilise as a Medic. Which is really odd as I know people with paramedic qualifications who wanted to join as MAs but couldn't unless they did the MA course. Timing and circumstance I suppose.

6. I think that must be it, makes sense to utilize the skills if someone has them, No point letting them go to waste.

7. I suppose having the award on board will make the scrap value of Lusty that little bit higher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. From her linkedin profile, she was a fulltime AET (I presume AEM actually), then did stuff and things, and then become a paramedic. She mobilised for HERRICK 14, which was pretty fruity, and probably at the height of us needing people.

As for the MA/Paramedic thing - there was/is a huge institutional reluctance to employ paramedics in the RN. Who knows why?

9. She was interviewd on telly yesterday. Has been in the Reserves for 16 years and is going to BRNC as a Reserve Middy shortly. She has gongs for Kosovo, Bosnia and Afghan and a MiD, but NO MC unless it is in the post, which will bring her tally up to 9 gongs!.

She was recounting how they got a wounded guy off a roof after she had laid on top of him under fire to protect him - they just threw him off 'as there was not time to do it by the book'!!

Very calm and VERY brave girl. BZ and good luck for the future.

10. My bad, I thought she was one of the MAs who got an MC.

11. wave_dodger

I think she must live around DSC, In fact I am pretty certain I walked past her very recently. I'll ask!

Actually, I've had the MA/Paramedic chat a couple of times with Doc, Nurse, MA chums. It all boils down to the age old - if we train them and qualify them they'll leave paranoia, with a wee bit of 'we don't need them trained to that degree'. I'm sure angrydoc has an opinion.

I think some RAF MA's for Aerated are paramedic trained and I think some SAR winch persons are paramedic trained but I believe we don't recognise the trade and the issue really is if a paramedic joined to retain registration they need a lot of solo time and patient contact that we can't support. At least that's what I recall from a walk on the way to the pub....

12. According to LinkedIn, OC Ping lives in Sheffield.

13. wave_dodger

You're up for this OSINT aren't you, fancy a branch change - just say the word!!!! GSX INT it's got your name written all over it! (and congrats on the SASB too ;-) )

14. Poke it and thank you, respectively.

15. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

The problem with ATG going GSX INT is that they've only got so many edible crayons to write/chew with, and I don't think they could afford the budget uplift required.

16. Plus I like sunlight and can talk to girls.

17. wave_dodger

I now have mental image of the village loon, chewing absent mindedly on crayolas finest, screaming at females on the bus!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. I'm not from Newcastle!!!!

19. Cumbria ?.

20. Norfolk/Suffolk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk