Milford & West Wales Mercury: "Popular Chaplain Hits The Road One Last Time"

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Jul 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of the best 'Bishes' we've had. I hope he has a long and enjoyable retirement although he is unlikely to slow down much.
  2. Shared the odd evening meal with him in Drake a couple of years ago, top bloke, slightly eccentric but probably just the sort of person you need as a "Bish".
  3. Top bloke. Nuff said.
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

The Navy attracts a fair share of eccentric sky pilots, top blokes the lot of them. I have an endearing memory of our sky pilot doing the dance of the flaming arsseholes on stage in a nightclub one night in Taunton.

I heard a rumour that all though the chaplain holds "officer" rank he is the rank of whom ever he is speaking to. Is that true?
  5. "BR3

Chapter 31

(3) Concept of rank. The tradition in the Naval Service is that chaplains speak to all but the most senior Officers as equals (especially in private conversation); they are therefore considered to adopt the rank of those they are speaking to. This not only makes it easier for junior personnel to speak in an open and honest manner, but means that information can be related to higher management speedily or discreetly when the normal chain-of-command might not be appropriate. In order to ensure that chaplaincy is treated with the seriousness it deserves, Chaplains have the status of Head of Department (but this must never be confused with rank). The concept of similar rank and status combine to provide a ‘user friendly front-end’ for the Divisional and Regimental System which can also facilitate rapid and effective communication at all levels."
  6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Awesome Sol, Our sky pilot must of been stoked to have achieved the rank of Marine, most people cant do that.:-D
  7. Had a sin bosun at Lossiemouth in the 60s who was going to the Royal Marines, unfortunately for him (and the Royals) he failed to make the grade so no green lid and returned to Lossiemouth