mile and a half!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Gaz85, Feb 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. evening ladies and gents!
    was just wondering does any one know how many times round an average size football pitch a mile and a half would be???
    any ideas? just a rough guess
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Erm, try searching for the many hundreds of threads already in here and other sections, in relation to "Mile and a half", "RNFT", "Running", etc... 8O
  3. Somewhere between 1 and 100, I guess.
    Here's how I would find out.
    Google - "Football pitch dimensions" to find the length of the sides of a pitch.
    Add the sides (2xwidth, 2xlength) to get the total distance round. If it doesn't say a precise distance, you'll have to make some assumptions on how long/wide an average pitch might be.
    Google "convert 1.5 mile to yards" or "convert 1.5 mile to metres" depending on whether your working SI or hundredweight/furlong/fortnight system of units (and if you join, expect to need to know imperial, there's still kit around - US stuff, that needs feet and inches) to get the answer.
    and.....divide one by the other.
    If you want to know how far you need to run in reality, work out the size of your local pitch by pacing it out (then do the maths).

Oh, there's a thread that tells you a good iron to buy, somewhere on RR.

Dont run around a football pitch - measure 1.5 miles from your house and walk/jog to that point to warm up. Then turn round and blast home as fast as you can.
  5. Consensus around the office is that it’s 8 and one length around the football pitch on the astro turf in Faslane. Since I’ve no idea if this is a standard length pitch, it’s not really of any help.

6. cheers for ya help guys! :)
  7. I think it's 300 meters around a full sized pitch and there's 3 different sized pitches.. Anyway if it's a full size it's a simply 5 times around the pitch but the continiously boring never changing scenery is going to make it just that 5 times harder.
  8. 300 X 5 is not 2.4Km.

Fnd an athletics track, they are 400M. six times round that is 2.4k which is 1.5 miles.

Regarding the bordom, the same 300 or 400m again and again is better than the same 3 square metres you would be looking at on a treadmill!.
  9. five and a little bit times round the astro turf pitch at raleigh is 1.5mile!!!
  10. football pitches are not a standard size so you would have to measure the one you want to run around.

FA rules are 100-130 yards long and 50-100 yards wide
  11. You would have to run around my local pitch (Prenton Park, ther home of the mighty Tranmere Rovers) 7 times and then another 62 yards for your exact mile and a half.... dont do it on a match day though... the referees assistants will get in your way...
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well I'd doubt you'd spoil the spectator's (singular) view... :wink:
  13. Yaaaawn!! :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: