Might bring back some memories for the Sundodgers

scouse

War Hero
This review is from: All the Nice Girls (Hardcover)
During the mid sixties, a Royal Navy conventional submarine is unexpectedly sent to a northern city shipyard for a refit. Two officers and a skeleton crew are left in charge of the boat and try to find their bearings within the feudal society of the shipyard people and admiralty overseers. Meanwhile, the junior lieutenant finds himself a flat in a rural surrounding and soon becomes a legend in the local society. Witty and accurate, this novel describes how, after a poor start but with the enlightened assistance of the local Navy Commander, these people manage to make a roaring success of their submarine refit. Possibly John Winton's best novel, after "we joined the navy".

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It's a long time since I read it, but I remember it well. John Winton was an engineer officer in submarines.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've found all of John Wintons books to be a good read, if you haven't tried them you have a treat in store.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil PlymouthLive: "24 Fascinating Tales You Might Not Have Known About Plymouth" Bases / Shore Est 1
Tomahawk Where might Trident go? Current Affairs 34
M MA's in waiting might want to watch this. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
stan_the_man mmmmm might get banned for this Diamond Lil's 9
N RNR divers? Or anyone who might know? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 11
EarlyChop Just thought you might like... Diamond Lil's 3
scouse Nato Libya Op might loose its only carrier The Fleet Air Arm 3
scouse Might be of interest to the Sundodgers??? Submariners 0
soleil "Without A Global Maritime Presence, Britain Might Easily Be Just Another Country" Current Affairs 1
trelawney126 Might be the RAF but this is Disgusting Current Affairs 3
soleil T'graph: SDSR: 4 Future Scenarios & How They Might Play Out Current Affairs 3
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp It might not be everybody's cup of tea. The Gash Barge 6
Rumrat Austin Dobson, do you think he might have been "Jack" Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 2
scouse Did you ever think!!! You might sink?? Diamond Lil's 62
U Might have a problem joining the Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
Rookie-WWFC Might have a problem... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 173
T Orchadian Real Ale might be banned... for promoting violence Diamond Lil's 5
NotmeChief Some quiz show replies you might not have heard. Diamond Lil's 0
T Looks good. Think i might join? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 38
K This might amuse Diamond Lil's 1
UncleAlbert I`m off.....I might be gone some time... Site Issues 24
S Might do some of this blogging....might do! Blogs 0
golden_rivet help! ... it might be the end of the world ... The Quarterdeck 21
wet_blobby Might as well say cheerio myself... Diamond Lil's 26
P Just when you thought there might be an end in sight Diamond Lil's 8
chockhead819 God, we might even get the carriers!! The Fleet Air Arm 33
MoD_RSS New law changes to bring better connectivity to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Exports bring home the bacon for UK family farm MoD News 0
C What can I and can't i bring Joining the Royal Navy 18
MoD_RSS £15 million boost to bring better rail journeys to the North East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK designing new rover to bring first samples back from Mars MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Primary schools to be given flexibility to bring back more pupils MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GREAT partners competition to bring ‘Magic of Live Events’ online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New UK deals will bring millions more PPE items to frontline healthcare staff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government to bring home more British travellers from Central and South America MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New flight from Jamaica to bring home British travellers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Three further flights to bring hundreds of British travellers home from Bangladesh MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK announces more flights to bring stranded Brits home from India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK announces 5 more flights from Bangladesh to bring home over a thousand Brits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First charter flight departed from Bangladesh to bring British travellers home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK set to bring home hundreds more British travellers from across the Philippines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK announces first charter flights from India to bring British nationals home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office steps up plans to bring home Britons stranded overseas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The NDA will bring its transport and logistics expertise together MoD News 0
soleil Press & Journal: "North-East MP Calls For Navy To Bring Back Uni Reserves To Aberdeen" SCC and URNU 4
MoD_RSS Government pledges £500 million to bring back historic rail lines, improving connectivity for communities across the country MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inclusive government action needed to bring stability to Mali MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Science superstars and small businesses could bring the next big innovations to market with £100 million boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister pledges to bring shipbuilding back to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister announces plans to bring forward new bold and ambitious legislative agenda MoD News 0