Midshipman seniority?

Cue the old dits;

Don't you salute Air Marshals in the Navy? / We haven't got any.*

If you were in the Army you'd be a Sergeant./If I was in the Army I'd be a Colonel.

I have witnessed a female USN senior officer grip an RM 2/Lt and ask; 'don't you salute female officers in the Royal Marines?' 'We haven't got any m'am' was undoubtedly for my benefit -I'd tell the chaps and he'd become legend. Imagine his surprise when the Detatchment Sergeant Major found out, read his horoscope and marched him into M'am's office for some humble pie

A CCMEA (as was then) of my acquaintance once spoke to a badly briefed Commander E, the same contemptuous way he addressed stupid ( I prefer 'still learning' ) AMEO/DMEOs. His feet didn't touch the ground, fortunately his buttons didn't either but it was a close thing.
He learned his lesson and he's rather senior himself now, more tolerant, more mellow, a good mentor but no less formidable.

* Yet.
Major fire in Fife's gas room , extinguished with some difficulty with foam , Cdr (E) wanted to enter and inspect damage , told by Chief Tiff in charge of fire party that was not a good idea as there was a danger of re-ignition.
Cdr (E) insisted and hatch was opened WHUMPFF , fire re-ignited , Chief Tiff to Cdr (E) 'Sir, fcuk off ' , steam drench to extinguish fire and nothing more was said.

B

Billy Q

Major fire in Fife's gas room , extinguished with some difficulty with foam , Cdr (E) wanted to enter and inspect damage , told by Chief Tiff in charge of fire party that was not a good idea as there was a danger of re-ignition.
Cdr (E) insisted and hatch was opened WHUMPFF , fire re-ignited , Chief Tiff to Cdr (E) 'Sir, fcuk off ' , steam drench to extinguish fire and nothing more was said.

Fife was famous (infamous) not just for her disastrous design by RCNC (So called ship's designers who-to this day pretend to be and dress as Naval Officers..
.but for...Whilst in Hawaii, the Royal Navy abolished the rum issue. As a result,Fifebecame the last ship in the Navy to issue rum by virtue of being the furthest east in the Pacific. The Hawaiian media came on board and were quite bemused when the ships Senior Ratings staged a mock burial at sea, complete with a Pipers Lament provide by the ship's pipe and drum band and pall bearers dressed in black.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fife was famous (infamous) not just for her disastrous design by RCNC (So called ship's designers who-to this day pretend to be and dress as Naval Officers..
.but for...Whilst in Hawaii, the Royal Navy abolished the rum issue. As a result,Fifebecame the last ship in the Navy to issue rum by virtue of being the furthest east in the Pacific. The Hawaiian media came on board and were quite bemused when the ships Senior Ratings staged a mock burial at sea, complete with a Pipers Lament provide by the ship's pipe and drum band and pall bearers dressed in black.
During the month of July 70 she crossed the International Date Line twice , thereby qualifying for 32 tots .

Cue the old dits;

Don't you salute Air Marshals in the Navy? / We haven't got any.*

If you were in the Army you'd be a Sergeant./If I was in the Army I'd be a Colonel.

I have witnessed a female USN senior officer grip an RM 2/Lt and ask; 'don't you salute female officers in the Royal Marines?' 'We haven't got any m'am' was undoubtedly for my benefit -I'd tell the chaps and he'd become legend. Imagine his surprise when the Detatchment Sergeant Major found out, read his horoscope and marched him into M'am's office for some humble pie

A CCMEA (as was then) of my acquaintance once spoke to a badly briefed Commander E, the same contemptuous way he addressed stupid ( I prefer 'still learning' ) AMEO/DMEOs. His feet didn't touch the ground, fortunately his buttons didn't either but it was a close thing.
He learned his lesson and he's rather senior himself now, more tolerant, more mellow, a good mentor but no less formidable.

* Yet.
It looks like your Crystal ball is working well

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rcraft-carriers-RAF-man-never-served-sea.html

Wail strikes again...
'
' 'The systems of HMS Queen Elizabeth, the first of the two carriers, are now being tested and in 2016 the ship will be handed over to the Royal Navy for Sea trials.

It is expected to come into service in 2012. The second, HMS Prince of Wales, is currently under construction.''

some of the comments are a giggle.

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Snotter. Two things:

1) Run onto my fist.
2) Then make the tea.

Back in WW2 when people were taken on Hostilities Only, you could have quite an illustrious career and remain right at the bottom of the ladder whilst the professional RN advanced around you.

A long dead HO Swordfish pilot I used to talk to in the British Legion on Remembrance Sunday used to delight in telling me that he reached the dizzy heights of 'Temporary Local Acting (Unpaid) Sub-Lieutenant RNVR'.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Snotter. Two things:

1) Run onto my fist.
2) Then make the tea.

Back in WW2 when people were taken on Hostilities Only, you could have quite an illustrious career and remain right at the bottom of the ladder whilst the professional RN advanced around you.

A long dead HO Swordfish pilot I used to talk to in the British Legion on Remembrance Sunday used to delight in telling me that he reached the dizzy heights of 'Temporary Local Acting (Unpaid) Sub-Lieutenant RNVR'.
Read the late Lord Kilbracken's AKA John Godley's excellent book 'Bring back my Stringbag' for an interesting few pages on that subject. On an aside Trainer.Your Avatar reminded me of an amusing story regarding Noel Coward. When he heard of the film 'The Sea Shall Not Have Them', and heard Redgrave and Bogard were in it. He's alleged to have said.'I don't know why not.everyone else has'...;)

Last edited:

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
Edward Young in the excellent "One of our submarines" remarked on the moment he was promoted to Lt Cdr RNVR whilst in commend of a boat, so that he was no longer technically junior to his XO, a Lt RN.

It will be good to see the current RNR middies start flowing into people's consciousness, it's probably been a while since 40+ year old middies have been seen by most.

Edward Young in the excellent "One of our submarines" remarked on the moment he was promoted to Lt Cdr RNVR whilst in commend of a boat, so that he was no longer technically junior to his XO, a Lt RN.

It will be good to see the current RNR middies start flowing into people's consciousness, it's probably been a while since 40+ year old middies have been seen by most.
Another very good book.

Of course, why would you want to appoint someone with experience of project management and delivery to bring a brand new capability into service, when you could appoint an utterly unsuitable candidate who happens to be in the RN.

Lord West is increasingly an embarassment to the nation.
OK,
1. Did I comment on it in a negative light?
2. Did I imply any negativity?
But
3. Has the RN no senior officer with experience of project management?

Your defence off all things official is sometimes a little quick off the mark P_T, my post was merely highlighting seadogs astute prediction

Seadog

War Hero
...my post was merely highlighting seadogs astute prediction
I wasn't alluding to the Air Marshal's appointment, the one causing so much angst. If I'm not mistaken, he's been in the CEPP appointment for months.

As a learned poster on ARRSE noted: Banjo should know the difference between what the Air Marshal is responsible for and what he is not. The Air Marshal will not be altering the carpets in the CO's cabins on either ship.