Midshipman seniority?

Discussion in 'UPO/Careers Office' started by BVGS01, Oct 23, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All OCs graduate as Midshipmen now, so why are they classed as junior to 2nd Lieutenant/Pilot Officer still?

2. who cares?

And I was a Middie.

3. Because they are, get used to it Snottie;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Because it gives people like you a reason to post threads like this?

5. I was just curious, asking a simple question. There's really no need to get like that.

6. You should be used to reading ' snappy answers to stupid questions ' having joined the site a year ago.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The responses are called banter in the RN best get used to it. I meant no malice with my reply and in the main nor will anyone else, just a bit of harmless banter, do not confuse banter with bullying

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

A 2Lt may lead a Troop/Platoon of 30 chaps, a Pilot Officer may fly an aircraft, on his own. A Midshipman may be allowed to visit the head unaccompanied.

A similar status applies to Leading Rates. Equivalent but junior to Corporals for similar reasons which is a bit unfair on some small ships' Leading Rates.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Many years ago there were two midshipmen at Lossiemouth. One a pilot the other an Observer, they flew as a team in Buccaneers.............................................and they were bloody good!

10. It is possible (just) to be a Middie OOW.

11. That must boost the crew's morale coming up the channel....:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. There could, also, be middie pilots...

13. While the middie OOW tries to figure out the TSS on the bridge? It gets worse. 'Call the Captain'...;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Isn't 2nd Lieutenant the equivalent of sub-lieutenant, not Middie? :cool:

15. if memory serves, pongo lieutenant = Subby, Pongo Capt = Lt

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  16. It probably goes back to the days when a Midshipman was neither upper, nor lower deck and considered a position, rather than a rank. Of course, the Crabs weren't even born then.

I have to admit, I never had any problems reminding a Pilot Officer that he was still of the Junior Service and, therefore, worthy of my condescension. This went down particularly well whilst enjoying the hospitality of the RAF flying training system :) The good thing was it didn't last very long and soon, resplendent in the glory of my single gold stripe, could I laud my seniority, as Senior Service, over the Flying Officers.

Yeah, it never really went down like any of that. We were all on the same course, didn't a flying fig about who was senior to whom and spent the whole time spilling beer down our fronts and chasing gronks from York.....ahhhh, happy times :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Cue the old dits;

Don't you salute Air Marshals in the Navy? / We haven't got any.*

If you were in the Army you'd be a Sergeant./If I was in the Army I'd be a Colonel.

I have witnessed a female USN senior officer grip an RM 2/Lt and ask; 'don't you salute female officers in the Royal Marines?' 'We haven't got any m'am' was undoubtedly for my benefit -I'd tell the chaps and he'd become legend. Imagine his surprise when the Detatchment Sergeant Major found out, read his horoscope and marched him into M'am's office for some humble pie

A CCMEA (as was then) of my acquaintance once spoke to a badly briefed Commander E, the same contemptuous way he addressed stupid ( I prefer 'still learning' ) AMEO/DMEOs. His feet didn't touch the ground, fortunately his buttons didn't either but it was a close thing.
    He learned his lesson and he's rather senior himself now, more tolerant, more mellow, a good mentor but no less formidable.

* Yet.

18. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I have fond memories of the 'the RNVR middy' from John Wintons 'down periscope'. I hope he turned into the Bodger in due course.

• Like Like x 1
  19. .

What are "Regimental Sergeant Majors" nowadays ? Warrant Officers ?