Metropolitan Police to recruit up to 2000 Constables next year

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I feel compelled to demonstrate some professional loyalty to a fellow police officer in this thread...

...but I'm finding Jaggers' "Me, me, MEEEE!"ism rather tedious... :roll:

jaggers

Lantern Swinger
I feel compelled to demonstrate some professional loyalty to a fellow police officer in this thread...

...but I'm finding Jaggers' "Me, me, MEEEE!"ism rather tedious... :roll:

Really? Because all I did was post a link for any matelots/booties who might want to join the Met who are now recruiting?
:scratch:

jaggers

Lantern Swinger
For those who might fancy a second career in blue I was told today the Met has dropped the necessity for the CKP (the Open University course in criminal law you have to do before applying), you can now go straight in as a Special Constable and then apply directly as a regular.

For those who might fancy a second career in blue I was told today the Met has dropped the necessity for the CKP (the Open University course in criminal law you have to do before applying), you can now go straight in as a Special Constable and then apply directly as a regular.

I thought all constables were special?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer

So you have to already be in the Met as a Special to apply directly to the Met as a regular? You can't directly apply from civvy street? Sideways entry only?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

jaggers

Lantern Swinger
It's not inaccurate though is it? It's clearly from years ago.

Yeah I was kidding, LOVED Not the Nine O'clock News and was very sweet on Pamela Stephenson, especially liked 'I like Trucking' and 'Question Time'.:laughing3:. I wore my tunic about 3 times in 4 years, thankfully we swapped to overt body armour

FAAFLYNAVY

Lantern Swinger
I'm ex-Met myself and have a friend from Dartmouth who's currently a training instructor and we've both heard the same thing. The emphasis will be first of all be on Special Constables and PCSOs (the police equivalent of the RNR and RFA) given a shine up and made regulars but they might also recruit direct and ex-servicemen always get first pick especially if they've served in RN police or any sort of enforcement role within the service.

Job's pretty good, intial pay is equivalent to a Sub Lt and you get overtime and allowances including heavily subsidised travel via bus, tube and train. Hendon is no problem if you've been to Dartmouth and if you've been to Raleigh it's a lot more academic (equivalent to a degree in 18 weeks) but still perfectly doable. One thing I would say is that there's a lot more emphasis on individual work and self-discipline, you're allowed to get on with your own thing a lot more and not be continuously told what to do from dawn to dusk. In the navy we practiced and practiced almost exclusively for a war we never got to fight and occupied our time with bull to keep everyone busy. In the police we fought the war 24/7, 365 days a year.

I'll let you know if I hear more.

The current situation with the MET & several other forces is you can't even get an aplication form unless you've done two years as a special or as a PCSO.

One county chief constable is saying he'll warrant suitable PCSO's after two years service without the need for to them become crown officers.

Last edited:

Latest Threads