Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Methods of improving mental arithmetic?

FAAWanabee

Midshipman
Hey guys,

I've got my SIFT interview soon and so (all being well) my FATs not long after. Now I've read around and obviously DST and fuel calculations play a major part in the aptitude tests and also seem to creep into AIB as well. However, I've always struggled with mental maths and always have to use a piece of paper or if not, take AGES to work things out.

I was wondering if anybody (i.e Aircrew or those who have been through the process) can give me any tips or advice on ways to speed up my mental maths? Are there little short cuts that can help when I'm dealing with some unpleasant numbers? Obviously practise is a big thing but I want to get my mental maths as stong as possible!

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Astraeus

Badgeman
Hey guys,

I've got my SIFT interview soon and so (all being well) my FATs not long after. Now I've read around and obviously DST and fuel calculations play a major part in the aptitude tests and also seem to creep into AIB as well. However, I've always struggled with mental maths and always have to use a piece of paper or if not, take AGES to work things out.

I was wondering if anybody (i.e Aircrew or those who have been through the process) can give me any tips or advice on ways to speed up my mental maths? Are there little short cuts that can help when I'm dealing with some unpleasant numbers? Obviously practise is a big thing but I want to get my mental maths as stong as possible!

Any help would be appreciated! :)

I can only speak from my experience of developing mental arithmetic speed in preparation for my RT.

There truly is no substitute for practice. I had my partner throw two numbers at me and tell me what she wanted me to divide by or multiply by and the same with SDT calculations. I also set myself questions. You will quickly develop your own nuanced 'shortcuts' for any of these calculations however, at its most fundamental, you must recall how you were taught as a child - times tables were rehearsed until they stuck. Your brain is not configured any differently now.

I suggest you start off slowly. Do the mental arithmetic without setting yourself the pressure of time. Once you have developed the ability you can begin to cut down on the time it takes but, if you race to do the calculations too early on you risk underselling yourself and frustrating yourself - that leads to the "I can't do this" attitude.

Good luck.

FAAWanabee

Midshipman
Thanks for the advice! It looks like it's going be a long process but as you said it's a matter of conditioning your brain to getting quick and speeding up on it's own.

By the way, what trade are you going for if you don't mind me asking?

Astraeus

Badgeman
Thanks for the advice! It looks like it's going be a long process but as you said it's a matter of conditioning your brain to getting quick and speeding up on it's own.

By the way, what trade are you going for if you don't mind me asking?

I've applied to the Logs branch of the RN.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
I always had big snags with maths and just accepted the fact that it was something I was shit at. I have some sort of problem with numbers and just can't remember them. The only two numbers I can remember are my mobile number (which I've had for 14 years) and my service number (which I've also had for 14 years). I've had the same landline number for 3 years now and still can't even remember the area code. Likewise I need to plan card transactions well in advance because I can't remember my pin number.

Despite this I dug out out at school and got a B in maths GCSE, however I pulled myself off RN Tiff's course halfway through because I could see big snags brewing on the horizon due to my maths.

Anyway, some years on I've tried to do something about it, I'm an engineer by trade now and need maths everyday. My company also throws in cheeky little exams and psychometric tests on a regular basis so shit maths is no longer an option for me.

GCSE bitesize is for winners as is the games section of the Daily Mail which has a few maths puzzles. Download some maths and puzzle apps for your phone too.

I'm still shit at remembering numbers, but at least my maths is tip top now.

Last edited:

FAAWanabee

Midshipman
Oops! Well then, best of luck for the rest of the application! :)

2_Deck_Dash, I feel your pain! I'm hoping for at least a B in GCSE maths and although I can remember numbers, I can't manipulate them. I think I'm going to visit Bitesize (again!) and just do some quick mental maths on my phone whenever I can just to get my mind conditioned to it.

By the way, what's a 'Tiff'?

FAAWanabee

Midshipman
Ah right ok then thanks!

WreckerL, I asked what a Tiff was and in the article it gives an outline of it and what it's become.

FAAWanabee

Midshipman
So I'm guessing that a Tiff wasn't a direct entry trade then like it is now?

BBandy_E thanks for the advice! If I'm still no better at mental maths the night before FATs, I'll bear your suggestion in mind! :)

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
'If there was ten Bucky bottles sitting on the wall'

I achieved 'outstanding'.

English was 'the dyslexic twat thinks he is trying to reinvent the English language'

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
So I'm guessing that a Tiff wasn't a direct entry trade then like it is now?

BBandy_E thanks for the advice! If I'm still no better at mental maths the night before FATs, I'll bear your suggestion in mind! :)

Two methods of becoming a tiff. Direct entry and a 5 year tiff course, or join as mechanic without the required 5 GCSE's (or O levels for us oldies), prove your ability out in the fleet, get high enough marks on your Leading Hands/PO's course, get sea recommends and pass an oral board and then do a 2 1/2 year course. Those that joined up as mechanics were known as Mechanicians and rated as such until they decided to call everyone Artificers (in 1983 IIRC).

All academic now as it's gone one size fits all ET's, although there are still tiffs knocking about.

But stand by for the wheel to be re-invented after Project Faraday, or maybe I'm just a cynic ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Adapting Security Council working methods to be innovative and agile MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Modern Methods of Construction MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Progress and ways to improve Security Council working methods MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Improving peacekeeping operations around the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Save the Children UK can bid for Government funding again after improving safeguarding standards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Taking action on climate risk: Improving governance and reporting by occupational pension schemes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Improving Student Loans Company service for customers in repayment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regaining knowledge and improving wellbeing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government pledges £500 million to bring back historic rail lines, improving connectivity for communities across the country MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Improving security situation in Pakistan leads to change in UK Travel Advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Improving farm productivity in UK and Canada: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Improving railway security and safety: apply for contracts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA reaching out to security sector for Improving Crowd Resilience (ICR) briefing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Improving UN policing to encourage sustainable peacekeeping in Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for evidence launched on improving cyber security across the UK economy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to DfE consultation on improving higher technical education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Improving the effectiveness of the Claimant Commitment as a tool to support people into work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Improving safety and security on railways: apply for contracts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Improving data access for service sector: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ways improving your numeracy skills has become easier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Strengthening anti-corruption in the Western Balkans through improving asset seizure measures MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improving our electronic Document Registration Service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improving the Royal Navy’s underwater presence - Collaboration Event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Penny Mordaunt on improving sexual health rights globally MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improving service to customers: The recruitment drive and a better online service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Parole Board holding event in Bradford on member recruitment and improving diversity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Parole Board holding event in Sheffield on member recruitment and improving diversity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improving wifi in our criminal courts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Government takes next step in improving standards of UK audit market with new independent review into audit standards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Opportunities for improving quality of marking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New MOT standards improving our air quality MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Lifting Sanctions on Eritrea and Improving Peace and Security in Somalia MoD News 0
vauxhall Improving AFPS 15 pensions Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improving crowd resilience demonstration day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improving efficiency and stability of diamond semiconductors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Reducing power and improving safety for cooling applications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improving intelligence data processing and enhancing situational awareness MoD News 0
S Just completed medical - Waiting on fitness test - Improving Fitness Health & Fitness 19
C Aircrewman application success rate - improving?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS News story: Improving the lives of service personnel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improving small arms training for the Royal Navy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improving responses to cyber-attacks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improving intelligence libraries for streaming data MoD News 0
soleil Improving The Royal Navy's Online Presence The Fleet 7
G Fitness Question for improving Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 61
R Improving 1.5 mile run time Health & Fitness 11
Maxi_77 Improving Weather, improving view. Diamond Lil's 8
Don87 Improving 1.5 Mile Run Health & Fitness 18
MoD_RSS Veterans urged to access unprecedented amount of mental health support MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over £400 million pledged to remove dormitories from mental health facilities MoD News 0