MET Call back?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by IlikeB33r, May 26, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I recently applied for the RN as a MET. Upon sitting my aptitude test I was told I did not have the required mark (but was told I was close, which seemed a little superficial if you ask me)

Now, this was two months ago and if I was honest you I was a little disheartened about it and decided not to continue with my application as I am only wanting to go down the Engineering route. I have since been accepted into college and start in September to begin Engineering System: Mechanical disciplined. I was told I could attempt it again in 6-months providing I could provide proof of learning or a year without such proof.

Today. I have received a phone call from the Chief at my local office stating there has been a slight change in the marks required to join as a MET and that I should call him as soon as possible. (I do intend to do that however I am currently stuck behind a computer at work and can't. I resorted to the second best)

Just curious if anyone knew if RN has changed their recruitment processes in any shape or form?

Kind regards.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yes, those failing the recruiting test in the last 12 months may now be afforded a few discretionary points if just short of the pass mark for their chosen branch, depending how well they come across at interview. It's not "in the bag" it's an opportunity to demonstrate you are worth taking on risk.

If eligible, your AFCO will contact you.

Good luck if you decide to take-up the opportunity.

3. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

AFCO's working on a BH???

4. Appreciate the swift reply! Sounds like a good opportunity. And going by the waiting list anyway I can still do my college course while being in the process of signing up. (Or maybe it could be in my favour?)

BH?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Probably Scotland or a very keen careers adviser.

6. Ninja_Stoker

BH=Bank Holiday. Most AFCOs are closed.

7. Of course he is....................Think of the overtime:cry:

8. Scotland to answer that!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

So far as I recall, the directive came out last friday.

At one of over 50 AFCOs, I manually trawled through over 400 archived applications and found about 15 who were eligible for consideration on the first unverified sweep. If that's reflected nationally there will be several hundred getting a call or letter over the coming weeks. The tip is, if you don't get the call, apply for a resit at the appropriate juncture.

If everyone who failed the test outright in the last 12 months were to call their AFCO to enquire, we would grind to a halt as there would be several thousand test fails nationally. The advice therefore, is wait for the AFCO to contact you as a good number of checks must be undertaken first.

• Like Like x 1
  10. So I should consider myself lucky I guess. I am going to give the fella I call today to inquire further.

11. Ninja_Stoker

I'd grab the opportunity with both hands - you can always change your mind later if you have a better job offer.

12. Yeah, I imagine I shall be able to do my college course while doing the recruitment process as well? Considering it is only 10 months?

13. Ninja_Stoker

Sounds good. Wait for WS(HM) test to entry is around 24 months.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sounds good! Cheers Ninja, appreciate the help.

15. Wouldn't be that poor old pusser is struggling to recruit and worse still retain them ??

16. Ninja_Stoker

Pussers failure to retain them keeps me in a job, Stan.

But yes, numbers are down about 10-15% on last year, probably because there are more civilian jobs available. For Royal, there's a big fall-off, probably because a lot of young lads nowadays seem to want to join, train, then go and fight a war - with the withdrawal from Afghanistan this scenario is slightly less likely.

17. Me too, however it took me to my 22 year to find a war I quite fancied.

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

18. Ninja_Stoker

The type of person joining the Royals has changed over the years, I feel. The "Call of Duty" generation actually join wanting to go to war whereas if you go back 20, 30 years (before Afghanistan, Commando on the Frontline, etc) the average Royal joined for travel & adventure and if a war cropped-up, it was an occupational hazard rather than a primary objective for joining.

As ever when we are young, we think we're invincible, as we get older we tend to be a little more "risk averse". Royal serves an average of six years - a couple or three operational tours is enough for most.

19. It would be for me as well, bless em I cannot imagine the fallout from the tours the lads and lasses have completed and if truth be known it won't really surface for another couple of years. How long before the funds from HFH dry up once the bullets have stopped flying. Government help I very much doubt it,

20. So called my chief and he advised me I need to re-submit my application details however will not have to re-sit the RT. I'll then have to do an interview. Sounds all good to me.

• Like Like x 1