Message Received By The Royal Navy From A Retired Royal Marine

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by soleil, Aug 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The following message has been sent to the Royal Navy by a retired Royal Marine:

Just thought I'd share this experience with you. Recently, I was travelling by train from Aberdeen to Glasgow. As usual, Scotrail had insufficient coaches to cope with the crowds; it was to be standing all the way. Feeling very sorry for myself, at Arbroath, I noticed a young man board the train, with a camouflaged rucksack.

All during this journey, there were numerous loud complaints about the situation on the train. Eventually I found myself alongside this young man. I noticed from his tag on his ruck sack, he was a member of Zulu Coy, 45 Cdo RM. I introduced myself, as a former member of the Royal Marines, and 45 in particular.

To cut a long story short, he was on his way home to recover from shrapnel wounds to his legs. (He showed them to me) To say I felt humble would be putting it mildly, when I think of the complaints of fellow passengers, and my own attitude to the situation, while this young man remained uncomplaining, despite the severity of his injuries, throughout the 2.5hr journey.

On arrival, I asked if I could be of any assistance, he thanked me, but refused. My last sight of him was limping his way through the crowds, before he disappeared. I hope this young man (I didn't get his name) recovers quickly, as he wished, for he wanted to re-join his oppos ASAP. Good luck to them all.
  2. Nice sentiment but sounds a bit like the stories the local vicar makes up for his Sunday service.
  3. I heard that when he got off, the whole station applauded and a girl came up to him with a kiss for her dad, serving near the front line.

Quite what Aisha Gaddafi was doing on that station is still unknown.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

5. Ninja_Stoker

6. Shite of that magnitude makes me want to drown kittens.
  7. That's the difference between Bootnecks and Matelots! a sailor would have dripped continuously then would find a seat with a crippled old lady on it,turfed her out then farted and belched until all the others left the carriage,he then could get his feet up and sleep off the bender from the previous night!
    Job done! It's a matter of training really!
  8. Story? I believe that it would be most unlike Sol to propogate a made-up 'story'.

It appears at the RN Facebook page Royal Navy - Wall | Facebook as having been received by the RN's PR people.

Nothing on Snopes ATT so why not try to put aside your scepticism and accept it as a hoofing gen dit?

For now until proven otherwise, at least.:-|
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Absolutely concur. There's little to doubt a communique was probably received about an uncomplaining, injured Royal on a train journey home. A fair few of the injured guys are sometimes loaned to the AFCO in their home town during their rehabilitation so they also get a bit of harmony time & invariably they are 'chomping at the bit' wanting to get back in amongst it.

Whether the fact the guy wasn't dripping, despite more discomfort than most, merits an American-style sentimental accollade is open to conjecture, but very "Facebook" nonetheless.

Ex-Royals often call Bergens 'camouflaged ruck sacks' too. =-)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Bootneck on a crowded train going on leave.......

No booze?

I rest my case.
  11. Is this the same guy who did it after Dunkirk, Normandy and The Imjin River?
  12. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The prize for most inoffensive but effective debunk of the year goes to Ninja Stoker.
  13. wet_blobby

I've got a plan..........

It's a story about a train... let's get JD's brother to verify if it's true.

Welcome to RR big Mont.
  14. Thanks wet_blobby. Pleasure to be here. Haven't pee'd my pants laughing so much, since I trooped the Chief Stoker on the Bacchante!
    By the way, would love a copy of your avatar pic for my magazine. No profit intended. Just trying to make a load of ancient crushers horny!
  15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

She is Kathy West and you can view this - and other pics - on her website: Take a look at my course work...

I do hope you're not thinking of publishing it in "Hearsay Herald"!! :shock: :wink:
  16. wet_blobby

I was going to say a present day crusher gave me the photo but, as usual, he's ahead of the game..:-D
  17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"Who Sir? Me, Sir? No, Sir!" :wink:
  18. If I can copy and paste's in!