Mess undress

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by aljh, Jun 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Would anyone happen to know where I could get a decent mess undress white waistcoat per chance?
    Thanks in advance,
    Al

2. Don't suppose you've tried the "Uniform clothing store" or "Slops" as we like to call it!!!!

Alternatively, try Ebay

3. A long shot, I did 3 years out in JSSU(Cyprus) returning in 05. If you know anyone serving out there they'd be able to sort you out and post it to you. Don't know what time frame your looking at but the Cypriots can take their time over things!!

4. Garry Beverley Tailoring of Portsmouth advertises them on his web site.

5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

And that would also be my recommendation - G&H quality tailoring but at a more reasonable cost.

6. Try this - hope you've got £69 handy.

Have to confess that I bought one from him several years back and it remains worth every penny. As Silverfox says, G&H quality at sensible prices!

http://www.gbeverleytailors.co.uk/

7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Too late for G&H in Portsmouth anyway! They were holding the last week of a closing down sale when I was down at the Gunwharf a few weeks ago. And Bernards is closed and shuttered.

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I'll bet they had loads of waistcoats going for next to nothing as well :threaten:

9. Try asking at the Nelson Wardroom as they used to sell-off 2nd hand officers' uniforms

10. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Does anyone know of anywhere in Guzz that makes Senior Rates Mess Dress?

11. Slightly off thread, for which I apologise, but when was official "Mess Dress" introduced for senior rates, and what does it consist of? We just used to wear a bow tie with No 1s !!

2BM

12. There is no official mess dress for Seniors Rates. If someone doesn't have mess undress then I believe its by mess rules which is normally Number 1's with a bow tie and no medals.

13. Thanks Chaz.

2BM

14. matelot why bother, they'll be closing it soon anyway!! (Guzz that is!)

15. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I need some Mess Dress and I'm not so sure about Turner Virr. Duty dit is that you can get it cheaper in Guzz!

At the end of the day, it's a drinking suit I'll wear probably 3 times a year max so I'd rather not pay a fortune on it!

I've worn my No 1's with bow tie and negat medals previously but I don't want to thrash my No 1's when I'm 'tired and emotional'.

16. White waistcoat is mess dress. Baun's do a very shapely one; the issue one is crap.

17. There's a Naval tailors at the Stonehouse end of Union Strasse, Fennwicks I think its called, alas don't know the score regarding cheapness.

18. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

what a great idea......

19. A bit of a bump here?

But where is the best place to get Mess undress, either in Guzz or Pompey??