Mess Fees

BradyBunch

Badgeman
Not that I have any issue paying them
but why are they compulsory on board once you hit senior rate and above?

We had this debate in the mess and one of my oppo's who does not drink tea/coffee etc wonders why he is forced to pay £10 a month. Even the skipper is briefed on who is up to date etc

The debate raises a good point...why is it compulsory?

slim

War Hero
Think yourself lucky that you are not an occifer, their mess fees would make your eyes water.
As a SNCO you have a certain status and with that status comes responsibilities. Use of the mess facilities is not compulsory and when I was at Daedalus many years ago a PO decided that he would opt out of paying the fees.
He could use the mess but certain facilities were not available to him, Tea, coffee, condiments in the dining hall (except for salt & vinegar) mess newspapers, television areas. snooker tables and lots of other things.
It did not take long before he rather begrudgingly started to pay his dues.
Best way to look at it that it is a privilege to belong to a senior rates mess and well worth the small amount of cash that it costs for membership

BradyBunch

Badgeman
Think yourself lucky that you are not an occifer, their mess fees would make your eyes water.
As a SNCO you have a certain status and with that status comes responsibilities. Use of the mess facilities is not compulsory and when I was at Daedalus many years ago a PO decided that he would opt out of paying the fees.
He could use the mess but certain facilities were not available to him, Tea, coffee, condiments in the dining hall (except for salt & vinegar) mess newspapers, television areas. snooker tables and lots of other things.
It did not take long before he rather begrudgingly started to pay his dues.
Best way to look at it that it is a privilege to belong to a senior rates mess and well worth the small amount of cash that it costs for membership
I get all of that.
But the tea and coffee is passed around the messes for free (the JRs do not pay mess fees on board a ship)
And said bod today, does not drink tea or coffee
Also, been years since I have seen newspapers in any of the onboard mess decks I have been in.

I get it at a shore base where you get wifi, cheaper bar and far more facilities on offer for little/no fee. It is well worth it.

as for a privilege of being a SR? we get selected on Merit, not for charity do we not?

But trying to tell him he should pay it on board, it was impossible to justify it when you break it down

Suggest the OP tells his "Oppo" to arrange a friendly yarn with his Mess Treasurer*, who I'm sure would be willing to explain the many & various streams of Mess Income & Expenditure.

[That compulsory £10.00 per month would seem a reasonable sum to cover a host of liabilities such as insurance for any items of value owned by the Mess, hospitality for visitors/guests, possibly any 'extras' purchased through the Caterer for special events & Mess Dinners (Pickle Night etc.) whilst building up a Float for the future benefit of all Mess Members.]

Then, if there is something among those which he still feels unhappy about he is free to make his representations, in writing if needs be, to the Mess President & Committee.

If the Mess Accounts are still what used to be known as a Non-Public Fund are they are still liable to be overseen by a Supervising Officer and/or regularly examined (used to be 'audited')by an Officer plus a SR?

*Sometimes a thankless task but occasionally taken on by an enthusiast person likely to bore anyone to tears who shows any interest at all in the finer points of his/her number-crunching.

fishhead

War Hero
I cannot believe that someone is bilking at the idea of paying what amounts to 33 pence per day. Pusser's pay has never been the most generous but regardless of what you get in return it is worth paying to avoid being tallied "a tight ar**d [email protected]"

I cannot believe that someone is bilking at the idea of paying what amounts to 33 pence per day. Pusser's pay has never been the most generous but regardless of what you get in return it is worth paying to avoid being tallied "a tight ar**d [email protected]"

In shock news, Senior Rate whinges about being a Senior Rate.

As Seadog said, tell your "mate" to give back one of his hooks, or ideally both of them.

BradyBunch

Badgeman
so, basically the answer is if you dont like it, give up some hooks?
I get that

not really what I was after but I guess there is no BR reference that states it is compulsory other than peer pressure and not being shunned by your fellow senior rates...which is fair enough but this era, that should be a thing of the past, being forced to pay for something you do not use.

For the record, I agree with Mess Fees and always contribute extra when 'mess improvements' are brought about on board. But for someone who lives out, does not drink wets and is pretty quiet, just sparked an interesting debate in the mess.

no question is a stupid question....unless those you ask do not like it

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I'm pretty sure it is laid down somewhere that you have to pay mess fees in one mess, submariners, for instance, pay mess fees on the boat but not to the inboard mess if they're living in barracks alongside.

I can't remember where it's laid down though!

IDEA - If my earlier Post didn't perhaps this'll help instead:

street-performer-924003__340.jpg

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
If the OP is REALLY interested, the very same question, in a very similar context, reared its ugly head on ARRSE some time ago. There are gazillions of posts - why not have a shufti.............