Mess Dress/No 1's

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by farmer_jack, May 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon guys,

Now I know this may sound a little "Waltish" but its not! :)

A guy i used to go to Uni with is in the RNR in the North of England - went in DE and is now a fresh faced sub lt. We are both off to a wedding in July and not having heard of RR before, he asked me to put query on for him about mess dress/No 1's - he wants to wear his 1's to the wedding instead of a morning suit but doesnt think he can because he is only a reserve and not a regular?

Any precedence from anyone out there as to current regs? He is currently backpacking in Thailand so thats why you havent got another new member to add to the list...yet! lol

Many thanks

(whose forms have been lost in transit and now need to be resubmitted.....! Viva Las AFCO! lol)
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Many people get married in rig. Although it is not classed as a service function, the RN turns a blind eyes to it. As fare as he is concerned, he can wear No. 1s. (In fact I did, and it looks so much better in the photographs; morning suit and top hat looks so common!)

3. I knew someone very recently, officer type, got married in uniform, dont think there was an issue, I will ask his wife, and PM you in the later part of the week,
  4. Thanks SgtPepper.... I think deep down he is a bit of a "braid junkie"... loves to strut his stuff in his newly tailored 1's whenever he gets an excuse! lol :)

Im sure you know the type... ;-)
  5. It's not an issue, in fact it's one of those things that the service tacitly encourages nowadays.

Can't for the life of me remember the numbers, but usually it'd be the suit (used to be No5s), rather than mess kit. If he's the only one in uniform then co-ordination shouldn't be an issue but he can wear a sword with that. The snag with that is securing it after the wedding and during the reception.
  6. sgtpepperband

If he intends to use his sword and scabbard (useful for the cake cutting pics!) he should obtain a "Smugglers Chit" from the Gunner's Party to authorise him to take it ashore in public.
  7. What's the story about attending a civvy wedding in No 1s and/or 2s - OK or not?
  8. sgtpepperband

Once again, no problem. But if it's not a nautical wedding, what's the point? And also you'll be under scrutiny if you misbehave... :wink:
  9. I got married in Uniform adds to the day, but if not a Naval wedding why bother
  10. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

and it makes no difference if he is a Reservist rather than Regular. Rules and guidance apply equally.
  11. All fair points - I think I'll go of the scale on the cockometer if I show up in 1s. (So what's new). Back to the morning suit idea (equally as bad, but at least there are a few of us to spread the shame)
  12. Best guidance is to wear it if there is a strong service link to the wedding - otherwise it not only looks waltish, but also shows up the Groom!

I'd say only wear it with the marrying couples approval personally...
  13. I know of a man who was married in his sea cadets uniform!
  14. Now that really IS a bit sad.......

Just the sort of dedicated man we want running the SCC though... fine upstanding chap and all that... :)
  15. I plan on getting married in my No 1's. Granted I make it look good and it's tailored. More importantly saves me buying a suit.

Might even get my sword out. Just to cut the cake I hasten to add.
  16. WW was he of legal age to get married or did he get some young girl pregant, sorry couldnt help it . :D
  17. I can understand if he's the one getting married, but if you're only attending as guests and it's not a military wedding then i would say NO.
  18. It should be fine for a reservist to wear uniform to get married.

In smarter regiments in the army, the custom is for the groom to be in morning dress but to have a guard of honour in uniform doing the wedding arch with their swords. The sword arch is also done in the RN, but in weddings I have attended normally the groom is also in uniform.

Other traditions are for the ship one of whose officers is getting married to hoist a garland to the masthead, and for the happy couple to be 'towed' in their car by a party of ratings.
  19. Don't wear rig to a civvy wedding, they will think you are there to drive the cars. (Officers and senior rates). Of course a JR could deputise for the sweep, who used to apear for luck, and invite every one to touch his collar.

Posh army always wear civvy morning suits, but they own them, not Moss Bross.

It might be considered bad taste for officers to wear rig to a ratings wedding as they might be accused of trying to upstage the most important people on the day.

Having said all that, do what the happy couple want. At a Wardroom Splicing this Saturday only nominated people are in rig. The bride is in civvys, so some other mess members will be as well. Quite right too!
  20. I got married in square rig (at the missus request) and my oppos from the unit also wore their rig. What I did was to put a letter in to the CO requesting permission formally - which he readily agreed.

Saves a fortune at Moss Bros! And it looks good in the phots. And when you look at said phots in 20 years time, you won't look as much as a numpty as you would have done in your turn of the century morning suit... :D